Making a real time display with 868.25MHz

We have a Aurora 3.6 Inverter which has the radio card to transmit data to the PVI-Desktop Display / Data Logger but we would like to have a bigger unit that just showed Total Generated & Current Generation on a LED or LCD screen.

We have seen them for £600 upwards but as we have the data being transmitted on 868.25MHz already we wondered if anyone has tried to capture this data themselves ?

I have played with the Arduino when robot making (basic) so it is the receiver unit that i am unsure of.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Richard

Hmmm, I’m totally clueless about this, but the ADF7022 sounds like being worth a closer look. It features on one end a SPI bus to attach to your Arduino.

Korman

Thanks for that, it looks like the bit of kit but i think the wiring looks a bit complicated. Looking on Google i see some referance to XBee and Zigbee on this frequency but finging a retailer which quotes the frequency other than 2.4MHz is imnpossable.

We have a Aurora 3.6 Inverter which has the radio card to transmit data to the PVI-Desktop Display / Data Logger

Assuming you have the "PVI-Desktop Display / Data Logger" portion of the system, I would start there. You would want to find any and every technical reference you can on this piece. This would include any service manuals and/or information about the data spec being broadcast/received. You might want to also look for technical documentation and such for the inverter, too.

If you have to call the company and speak to an engineer, try that. You might be surprised what some companies will offer in the way of information on their products if you ask (note that some won't give you anything - so be patient, and know you can't bleed a stone). If it won't void a warranty, you might want to open it up and take a look around, see what it is using as the receiver.

You might also look into posting about this issue on the Electro-Tech forums:

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/datasheets-manuals-parts/

I'm totally clueless about this, but the ADF7022 sounds like being worth a closer look

That does look like something this device might use - it definitely would be worth looking at.

Thanks for that, it looks like the bit of kit but i think the wiring looks a bit complicated.

You're doing electronics - anything beyond a blink sketch is "a bit complicated".

Honestly, that chip that Korman posted about looks a sight simpler to work with (beyond any SMT requirements, of course) than the ATMega on an Arduino. There look to be very few needed connections or external parts required to get it to work. Interfacing with it via SPI might be a tad interesting, but that's a software problem.

However, before you can really know whether that part will work, you need to find out more about what you are interfacing with. Simply knowing the frequency isn't enough. You also need to know some information about the communications and data protocols. You might be able to find a transceiver that works at the same frequency, but uses a particular communication protocol that is completely different from what you need.

Good luck...

:)

Thanks, i will try the direct approach with Power-One - hopefully they will give me some help with this.