Making a wired control for Windows Media Player

Hello.
As the title suggests, I’m making a control for Windows Media Player. I have a working application on the computer to complete wished tasks. Now I want to make the control-unit itself. Since I have no previous experience with such kinds of electronics(I’ve soldered some wires), I want to get some help with the planning. I’ve heard of Arduino as a thing many times before, but I have no idea, how it works. So, to the point. I need a box, which has:

3 toggleable buttons
(preferably with LED to indicate it’s state)

• Play/pause
  • Shuffle
  • Repeat

3 regular buttons

• Stop
  • Next
  • Previous

And a way to control the volume.
I’ve thought of some sort of slider, which has values 0 to 100.

So, any kind of help is extremely appreciated and I hop this question is not in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance,
TheCreepySheep

Edit: I made an image of the control as I’d like it to look.

How will the Arduino communicate with the computer and your computer application?

I was thinking about USB

So to start, you need to choose an Arduino. Nothing about this screams anything more than an Uno would be necessary. You also need to build into your application, a way for the Arduino to send you information about the slider and switches. The rest is pretty easy once you understand the basics of the Arduino.

Alright, I think can build the way for Arduino to communicate. Do I need to get some kind of specific switches or how does it work?

Another option is to get the arduino to act as an HID keyboard and then windows can respond to the key commands they you send from it. You could even get it to be a Bluetooth device so that no actual wired connection to the PC is required . It would be autonomous and portable.

Cheers Pete.

Bainesbunch:
Another option is to get the arduino to act as an HID keyboard and then windows can respond to the key commands they you send from it. You could even get it to be a Bluetooth device so that no actual wired connection to the PC is required . It would be autonomous and portable.

Cheers Pete.

I want it to be wired, so I don't have to charge it.

TheCreepySheep:
Do I need to get some kind of specific switches or how does it work?

Just a momentary one. I don't see anything in your requirements that need more than that. Probably something like a slide pot for the volume.

You can use infrared remote control for this task. There are some ready or DIY solutions for this. Google: infrared pc control