Making an rgb LED dance and then some

Would like to turn on the rgb LED as white in the middle of a 5m strip followed by sending another rgb LED as red from the beginning. When it reaches the center white LED, it will give the appearance of passing thru as the white LED stays in the center and the red LED moves to the end of the strip and stops there and stays on.
Needless to say I am new to this and are looking forward to having some fun with the Aruino R3 board. Have not purchased the rgd LED strips yet as not sure if the ws2801 or the ws2811 would be the best chip to do this.
Any and all suggestions welcomed.

techIV: Would like to turn on the rgb LED as white in the middle of a 5m strip followed by sending another rgb LED as red from the beginning. When it reaches the center white LED, it will give the appearance of passing thru as the white LED stays in the center and the red LED moves to the end of the strip and stops there and stays on.

Sounds like a fun project.

techIV: Have not purchased the rgd LED strips yet as not sure if the ws2801 or the ws2811 would be the best chip to do this.

It doesn't really make a difference to the programming, but I think WS2811 are cheaper than WS2801 (less wires).

PS: There's also WS2812 which is an improved/cheaper version of the WS2811, they're very new though...not common yet.

fungus:
PS: There’s also WS2812 which is an improved/cheaper version of the WS2811, they’re very new though…not common yet.

Adafruit has its neopixel line that are based on the WS2812, including individual pixels, rings, sticks, and 60/144 pixel per meter strips. I think they released it 2 months ago.

Recently, Sparkfun released their own version (LED RGB addressable strip).