Making new audis turn signals using arduino

Hello

Firstly im new at this so i might ask some dumb stuff so bear with me…

So i love the new turn signals on new audis the way they like fill up and empty out and i want to integrate that to my car/motorcycle… So i need to control the collor of them all to set them orange and than i need to control each one individually so they turn on or off when and how i want…

How do i do that and is it eaven possible using arduino… And how would i power them becousr im thinking about having about 12 leds per turn signal

Any help is appreciated… Thanks <3

So i love the new turn signals on new audis the way they like fill up and empty out

I haven't seen that, but I assume it's like the old sequential signals on Fords in the 60s or 70s.

Assuming these are "high power" LEDs (maybe about 1W), you'll need some sort of constant-current driver LED circuit, and yes, you'll need s separate driver for each LED. For RGB LEDs, you'll need a driver for each color and each LED... Complete individual color control for 12 RBG LEDs requires 36 drivers! That's a lot of circuitry and wiring and it could be mess on a motorcycle!

"Regular" (20mA) LEDs can be directly driven from the Arduino (through current-limiting resistors). But, the total-maximum "allowed" current from an Arduino is 200mA, so you'd have to back-off the current a bit (use a higher value resistor) if all 12 will be on at once.

The software is pretty easy... If you can [u]blink[/u] one LED, you can blink multiple LEDs in a sequence/pattern. Then, you'll need a couple of control-inputs and if-statements to turn it on & off or select left or right. etc.

Is this what you're trying to do?

You could also use a serial to parallel chip - some com in a high power version up around 50 ma per channel - three wires out and you can put several chips in series - ULN 2803A if my poor eyes read the number off one of my boards OK - code is not too bad take 3 chips for your 24 lights - but using 4 chips will make the programming easier - two chips per side - use a shift register or values from a data table to control the flash pattern -

saildude:
You could also use a serial to parallel chip - some com in a high power version up around 50 ma per channel - three wires out and you can put several chips in series - ULN 2803A if my poor eyes read the number off one of my boards OK - code is not too bad take 3 chips for your 24 lights - but using 4 chips will make the programming easier - two chips per side - use a shift register or values from a data table to control the flash pattern -

That's a darlington array used to drive stuff like LEDs, those chips are not programmed, but connected directly to the Arduino pins on the input side. So 24 LEDs require 24 pins on the Arduino (so the micro is out). Using three or four of those chips also doesn't change the programming.

Sorry my bad, took the chip number off the wrong project - thanks for the catch - but the use of a serial to parallel chip would work - used them on last project

TPIC6B596N - got the number off the parts package

Again sorry for the bad part number

Mcu seems quite overkill for such a thing. There’s got to be an IC like the 4017 that’ll do it.

INTP:
Mcu seems quite overkill for such a thing. There's got to be an IC like the 4017 that'll do it.

Yep. Looks like it's already been done.

I see chasers where they don't stay on, wondering which IC is cumulative (1 on, 2 on, etc. All off, repeat) instead of sequential (1st on, 1st off, 2nd on, 2nd off, etc.)

If you can't find such a chip, you could use a 4017 with 10 flip-flops.

Or just an MCU with a couple of shift registers.

Pieter