Manipulating Arduino LCD screens

I apologize if this belongs in the Display section, but I wondered about whether Arduino LCD screens can do a couple things.

1) Is the voltage across individual cells of the LCD screen programable so that the voltage across adjacent cells could be a range of numbers instead of an "on" voltage or 0 volts? Or is the "on" voltage the only programable voltage?

2) It seems like the green plastic behind the actual LCD screen contains electronics necessary for the LCD screen's function. Is there a way to expose the back of the LCD screen (remove the backlight and components other than the electrodes and liquid crystals) and still have the electronics working so that a voltage can be applied across the crystals? For example, I know this can be done with a computer LCD screen as the necessary components to apply voltage across the individual cells are located on a strip at the bottom of the screen.

Thank you!

qkdeejay:

1. Is the voltage across individual cells of the LCD screen programable so that the voltage across adjacent cells could be a range of numbers instead of an “on” voltage or 0 volts? Or is the “on” voltage the only programable voltage?

Please provide a link to the datasheet of the LCD display you are using.

What are you trying to do? LCDs are sensitive to DC and can get damaged easily. That is why many LCDs are sold with build in control electronics.

qkdeejay:
2) It seems like the green plastic behind the actual LCD screen contains electronics necessary for the LCD screen’s function.

I have not seen any Arduino with a built in LCD peripheral. So, yes Arduino projects use LCDs with control electronics. This is often built cheap by using DIEs on the PCB which then gets covered by some liquid black plastic. Looks like a blob of tarmac.

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled "How to use this Forum". OR http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks.. Tom... :)