Manufacturing price of a Arduino?

Hi Arduino Community!

I was wondering how much one Arduino would cost if you mass produce it in a factory?
This goes for any Arduino clone, I think the price per unit will be mind blowing!

Thanks,
Jinks

1000?
10000?
100000?
1000000?

Kind of moot discussion if you don’t have access to PCB & parts cost, pricing to use someone’s pick & place machines, and reflow ovens, and test facility.
You don’t see the behind the scenes costs for ordering parts, maintaining BOMs, getting vendors paid, office space, utilities, workers to move stuff around, feeding the machines, packaging them up, shipping to distributors, etc.
Try getting something made in bulk sometime, it’s not easy as you think.

CrossRoads:
1000?
10000?
100000?
1000000?

Kind of moot discussion if you don't have access to PCB & parts cost, pricing to use someone's pick & place machines, and reflow ovens, and test facility.
You don't see the behind the scenes costs for ordering parts, maintaining BOMs, getting vendors paid, office space, utilities, workers to move stuff around, feeding the machines, packaging them up, shipping to distributors, etc.
Try getting something made in bulk sometime, it's not easy as you think.

Ok I understand that but the price of one unit must be really low right?

Are you making just 1? Not so much.
I try and make 10 and 20 cards at a time to keep shipping costs/lot down and take advantage of lower costs on bulk buys.
And I don’t have the overhead costs of the big manufacturers to carry, its just me & MrsCrossroads in a workroom upstairs. Toaster oven in the kitchen on occasion. Table in the living holding kits & assembled boards waiting to be packaged & delivered.

For “average retail” I’ve heard that retailers sell for twice what it costs them to purchase from wholesalers to cover material, fee, overhead, salaries, insurance, rent, utilities, etc. I don’t know if low level electronics retailers work the same. That’s the best I’ll hazard for a guess.

Also depends on component specification.

Chinese clone parts or known brand?

Weedpharma

Jinks:
Hi Arduino Community!

I was wondering how much one Arduino would cost if you mass produce it in a factory?
This goes for any Arduino clone, I think the price per unit will be mind blowing!

Thanks,
Jinks

Take a look at Circuithub - https://circuithub.com/

For example - CircuitHub

Cost per unit for one: $536
Cost per unit for 10: $125
Cost per unit for 20: $96

You can get cheap Pro Mini clones for $2.09 including shipping from a fairly reputable EBay dealer. To me, that price is already mind-blowing. I've bought a couple of true blue Arduinos (an Uno and a Mega), a few above-board Uno clones, and about 20 cheap EBay Pro Mini clones. I've been happy with all of them.

Jinks:
Hi Arduino Community!

Thanks,
Jinks

The price of arduino derivatives from Chinese vendors on eBay or AliExpress is probably a pretty good indicator of minimum manufacturing cost. "You" probably couldn't get a slightly different version manufactured for that cost, buying parts or labor elsewhere. "You" MIGHT be able get get a similar per-unit cost if you negotiate in Chinese, order $10000 worth, show up in China to get them, and handle shipping yourself.

Aside from cheap labor and a somewhat questionable "quality" chain, the Chinese seem to have a substantially different approach to "volume" and "wholesale" than most of the western world. In the US, to get "high-volume" prices, you'd be looking at figuring out recurring vs non-recurring engineering costs, financing, setup fees, part flow managment, and etc. There would be a sort-of built-in assumption that if you wanted 1000 units of something, you'd probably be willing to pay to have the possibility of getting a second 1000 units for cheaper. In China, it seems to be more likely to be along the lines of "You have $10k? We can build you 1500 units and still make some profit for ourselves. Great! If you want another 1500 units, that will be another $10k. Or perhaps different." It's hard to label either of these approaches as completely wrong. In particular, with the current state of automated manufacturing, a manufacturer would want to completely use all of their actual capacity at nearly any profit level, but they'd also need to factor in the need for growth. "We can build these 1500 boards now" is not the same as "we can build 1500 boards like this whenever you want them."

At least, this is how it looks to me. There's a somewhat related article here: http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=4297