Maplin motor shield

I've just purchased one of these and I'm trying to find the demo code for it. (although I imagine that shields made by different companies should be compatible, right? ). The instruction leaflet provided with the unit says 'download the Motor Shield Demo Code and open the Motor_shield_demo_code sketch' . I have tried finding this but haven't succeeded. The nearest I got was this page which has a link for a download but that just goes to a blank text page.
Can someone point me to some demo code for this? I'm new to Arduino so would like to start from something guaranteed to work. (I only intend to drive DC motors at this stage, not a stepper motor)
My Arduino is a Uno rev3

I imagine that shields made by different companies should be compatible, right?

Although many shields use the L298 driver chip, it would be up to each manufacturer to decide which Arduino pins go to which L298 pins.

Controlling the L298 is in itself not difficult, and if you look at a variety of Arduino sketches which do that you'll see definite similarities. But success depends on knowing which Arduino pin does what.

L298 uses pins called ENA and ENB, and IN1, 2, 3 and 4. ENA enables IN1 and 2, ENB enables IN3 and 4. Do you see any markings like that on any pins? Or, can you (with the aid of an L298 data sheet showing its pins) trace the circuit from L298 pins to Arduino pins?

Further to that, I followed the link to the support page and the demo code and it worked for me.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/linksprite/Shields/motor_shield/Grobe-_Motor_Shield_Demo_Code.zip

Code also downloaded fine for me following link on the Maplin page you linked.

manor_royal:
Further to that, I followed the link to the support page and the demo code and it worked for me.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/linksprite/Shields/motor_shield/Grobe-_Motor_Shield_Demo_Code.zip

Thanks. I see that now, but Google failed me earlier! I searched for 'Motor_Shield_Demo_Code' and only found he second page I linked to (the seeedstudio page). The download link there is broken. I only linked to the Maplin page to show people what I had purchased. Should have looked there first, that download link works as you say!

quilkin:
(although I imagine that shields made by different companies should be compatible, right? )

You have a vivid imagination - no, you cannot just assume that, read the datasheet.