Mass calibrating 4,000 DS18B20 sensors

An array of structure would be making sense as the data will have different types

1 Like

Please run the OEM sensors through the same testing process as you did with the knockoff batch.

Maybe do 20 of each as a side by side comparison.

Post the results.
I for one, am very interested in such a comparison.

1 Like

Neutral cure silicone.

1 Like

Ever use plain old kitchen/bath silicone? I'm not sure if that's the same thing that you're talking about.
I find it's really useful for waterproofing, especially LED strips as it handles the heat very well.

What about thermal conductivity?

The heat is distributed well enough. The strip gets warm on full white, but no more than without the sealant.

One should NOT use the silicone that smells like vinegar when curing. I recommend GE II that does not need acidic acid to cure.
However this type of Silicone is thixotropic (i.e. stays were you put it) so you have to be careful to force it in as many nooks and cranny's to eliminate as much air as possible.
This type of "potting" has two functions:

1. Seal out the outside environment
  2. Fill all spaces to occlude any outside environment from having a place to sneak into.

Cool
Thanks for the info.
I have a waterproof toy project on the board so I will try it there.

for a hot and humid environment, with many cycles of rise and fall in temperature (20..80°C), and to avoid expansion stresses that could make cracks and let moisture in, I filled the sleeve with almost liquid grease. After a few years of operation, the cable (even of "high temperature" quality) had slightly aged, and inside the sleeve, was like new on the 4 cm, with the probe.
The grease is hydrophobic, and it does not make cracks! but it is necessary to choose a grease with a neutral pH, and with low electrical conductivity.

Or else RTV.

Hi JR ! I'm not fluent in English, what is RTV?

It is a silicone caulk usually used for bathroom and kitchen around the tub and sink.

It stands for Room Temperature Vulcanization.

GE silicone II

Hope this helps.

surely ! fine, I know this (universal) product.

Since this project will be used to grow commercial food, there isn't complete freedom in the type of waterproofing sealant that can be used. Any small debris of sealant and greases that wear off may be considered an issue by the food inspectors (or whatever the are called :joy: )

no problem for me! it was "food contact" grease that was in my probe sleeves! yes, I was too afraid, because my probes were close to the food (heated displays); anyway, my probes were so mechanically solid that it was impossible for them to leak. The "food contact" grease is used in the conveyor belts for the meal trays, for example.

1 Like

Food grade is a common requirement and you can find what you need

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.