Matlab to Arduino and back

Hello all,

I'm wondering on the feasability of sending a signal from Matlab through an arduino to other hardware and then at some undetermined time afterward I receive a signal back.

Assumptions to help with my question:

1. The arduino is there to act as a go between for the hardware and Matlab. If I need two arduino's, that's fine.
  2. the hardware connected on the other side of the arduino is unimportant. I just want to know how to send and receive a signal through an arduino that will likely look like a chirp. If this requires 2 arduino's and two computers, that can be arranged.
  3. The sent signal itself will likely be a chirp and will last for a maximum of 2 seconds and a frequency that will be less than 10 GHZ but more than 2 MHZ.
  4. The received signal SHOULD be similar to the sent signal as long as the hardware I have in mind does as it should.

If there are any questions, or thoughts to help me get going on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm very comfortable with Matlab and only recently came across arduino's which led to a couple personal projects i'm working on.

Edit1: I went back and specified a little more. Hope this helps.

Am I understanding you correctly that you want to send a 10GHz signal from an Arduino and receive a 10GHz with an Arduino?

sterretje:
Am I understanding you correctly that you want to send a 10GHz signal from an Arduino and receive a 10GHz with an Arduino?

I'm really trying to use the arduino as the go between for Matlab and the hardware I have(likely a breadboard, but the connection can be adjusted as needed.) Also, the 10 GHz signal is the max I'd likely send. I would prefer to stay away from that high and would expect a more practical 4.5 GHZ. Being able to do up to 10GHZ would be very much preferred.

I think you're looking for a software defined radio (SDR) with receive and transmit capability given the range of frequencies quoted and the term "chirp". Arduino doesn't have a chance of doing much with a 2 MHz input signal never mind 10 GHz. Something like this maybe.

What is it you're really trying to do?

Please have a look at the "How to use this forum" post.

The only way to connect MATLAB and an Arduino is through a serial port connection.

If your post is about communications between the Arduino and some hardware, post a link to the hardware.

You will need special hardware to generate a signal even remotely like this vague suggestion:

1. The sent signal itself will likely be a chirp and will last for a maximum of 2 seconds and a frequency that will be less than 10 GHZ but more than 2 MHZ.