max amp reading from a PWM

i need help with my arduino.

i am making a arduino with a PWM and also controling the max Amp of the PWM.

i got the arduino diecimila, a current sensor and a light.

i am told if i place a ISR in my program to read analog in (where my current sensor is placed) it stops the PWM

so my question is how do i measure the top of the PWM Without slowing it down(or not to mutch slowing it down)?

how do i measure the top of the PWM

I don't understand your question - a PWM is either on (HIGH) or off (LOW).

Not sure what you are asking or why you want to do it. The top of the PWM waveform will always be 5V so why do you need to measure it?

An ISR will not slow down the PWM as this is controlled by hardware and not software.

i wanna measure it when it is on (high)

but it turns of when i put a ISR in my program

i am not measuring the V but the Amp

i wanna measure it when it is on (high)

It is 5V no need to measure it at all. If it is not this value then you have wired it up wrong.

Do you mean Amps (not Amp), so how are you doing the current measurement?

i have a powe suply attached to it en a mosfet, so the Amp and V is higher then the arduino gives it

yes amps sorry

The only way to measure current with an arduino is to have the current path going through a small resistor just before ground. then you need to connect this resistor to the analogue input. However because you have a PWM signal you first need to filter it with an R&C before the analogue input. This will give you the average current. To measure the peak current you need to synchronise your sampling to the PWM signal. This is something that is not easy to do in the arduino environment.

i have a current sensor of +-30Amps, on my analog in and 5 lights of al 4Amps ov a power suply of max 22A and 13,8V

What sort of sensor and how are you wiring it into the arduino?

my sensor has the nuber 1122.

the singnal iin my arduino is not jet programmed.

and my question was how i can program it correct in my arduino so it is able to control the dutycycle of my PWM to get a lower Amps

I think I understand. You want to measure the current being consumed on demand? you'll use an interupt to trigger the reading of the current? But are concerned that when the interupt is triggered, the normal execution flow will be interupting, interfering with your PWM output?

Edit: You've posted since I started typing is the sensor one of these? http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=1122

my question was how i can program it correct in my arduino so it is able to control the dutycycle of my PWM to get a lower Amps

Well that might have been the question in your head but it is not what you asked.

Changing the duty cycle is as easy as doing an analogWrite() to the digital pin.

I don't see why you need to measure your current sensor in an ISR. Simply as part of the main loop do the measurement and adjust the value you write to the port.

You could use a "huf and puff" algorithm. That is where you measure it and if it is too low you increase the analogue write value by one, if it is too high you decrease it by one. So eventually it will give the right value. This removes the need for any calibration between the sensor reading and the value you write.

i got it.

it is all easy now.

i used the following code for my arduino and it works.

made it my self :)

/* * Timer1 library example * June 2010 Made by ionotos (Whit the help of other arduino programs, sampels and forums.) */

include "TimerOne.h"

long dutycycle=512; //set dutycycle to 50% float IAverage=2.0; int currentsensor_Pin = 0; //analog in put pin = 0

void setup() { Serial.begin(9600); pinMode(10, OUTPUT); Timer1.initialize(10000); // initialize timer1, and set a 1/2 second period Timer1.pwm(9, dutycycle); // setup pwm on pin 9, 50% duty cycle Timer1.attachInterrupt(callback); // attaches callback() as a timer overflow interrupt }

void callback() { float i=(30.0/512.0)*(analogRead(currentsensor_Pin)-512.0); //meaking measurements from current sensor more accurate dutycycle=1024.0*IAverage/i; //making the new dutycycle if (dutycycle>1024)dutycycle=1024; //dutycycle can't go above 1024. Timer1.pwm(9, dutycycle); // setup pwm on pin 9, 50% duty cycle }

void loop() { int incomingbyte; incomingbyte=Serial.read(); switch(incomingbyte){ case '+': { IAverage+=0.1; Serial.print(IAverage); Serial.print(" "); Serial.println(dutycycle); } break; case '-': { IAverage-=0.1; Serial.print(IAverage); Serial.print(" "); Serial.println(dutycycle); } break; }

}