Max wire lenght PWM Signal - Powered paraglider

Hello all, and thanks for forum,

i have to control a powered paraglider's motor with PWM signal, about 2 meters away from my arduino with cable.

Is it possible ? and how to optimise signal transmission ?

Do a larger cable's section is better for long distance ?

Thanks for help.

no

picture of the motor ?

Thanks for reply, this is a 20KW motor controled with ESC.

This is not for human flight, is it? It's just a large remote controlled object?

This is for me, so human flight, yes.

This should work, first try short piece.
-skywing-150A-brushless-ESC-speed-controller-for-DIY-RC-model-RC-airplane-electronic-accessory
If is not working you need low resistance PWM output, could be voltage follower.

The ultimate goal is the Darwin Award?

If you need to ask such questions you are not ready for such project IMHO.

Hahaah, thanks :slight_smile:

Being interested about realibity of a system is learning... in order to not be a darwin award candidate... and I have lot of think to learn, this is why i'm here.

Your answer did not learn anything to me.

But i could learn something to you: an engin failure will not kill me in paragliding... and arduino is much more realibeable than 2 stoke engine.

A failure may do nearly anything. Not only stop the motor but it can also run at full speed or vary the speed randomly. The generated noise may disturb any other electronics nearby.
Why do you believe Arduino close to a 20kW electromotor is reliable?

As every Powered Paraglider, a full speed engine could be a real issue when flying, this is why i added an emergency cut-off on the controller (500A relay, with On/Off switch on left side).

500A
My magnetometer can pick up rotating field of magnet or garage door motor from 10 m, so you may need a permalloy box for electronics or magnetic material box such as iron.
OIP.6EoY-K-N8kZjxKS1iwdMSAHaHa
OIP.Z7NjPtTksOpLEWKTSPqa6QHaHa

The relay could handle 500A, but peak Amp will be 180A, average 40A (100v).
I'll add iron protection aroud electronic box, thanks for idea :slight_smile:

I'm not sure if this answer disqualifies you from candidate for darwin award. I think your project involves much more risks/failure cases you have in mind right now. And not just failure cases but also EMI related interference between components. Putting things into a box can help but signals and power have to go in and out ... and that requires a hole in that box, which is for radiated emissions the door to come in (and go out).
Despite: You have a 20KW motor, and the most (at least that has been your only question here) you are worried about PWM of arduino? What is the power electronics you want to use? What kind of electrical energy storage? Why do you think that the reliability of the arduino determines the reliability of your system?

I don't realy want go away from initial subject, the other potential issues are almost resolved.

• The battery gonna be a li-ion 24S12P 4.6Kwh controlled by BMS and separate fuse for each cell in an ignifuged bag.

• The 20Kw brushless motor is controled by a spécial ESC (APD HV PRO 24S 200A- OpenPPG version) for aerial motor.

The only think i'm worry about now is realibility of signal transmission.

And again, arduino is much more reliable than 2-stroke engine.

Here the 3D design, not finished yet...

Yes, I guess you are right. But was trying so say: todays safety in aviation has been achieved - among other activities - by deep analysis of accidents and drawing the right conclusions out of this. Basically because to stop a flight is not as easy as to stop a car.
Additionally, accidents are seldom a result of a single failure, but a combination of several. So arduino might be fine, but im combination with others probably not - if not mitigated.

Coming back to your question. Reliabilty of (PWM-) transmission depends on susceptibility of your design including wiring for external electromagnetical threads; both radiated and conducted. And then it is not only about the signal itself but also used hardware that sends the PWM signal and picking it up.
PWM is a asymmetric signal, thus more susceptible than symmetric signals. But, honestly, giving advise a little difficult. By nature, asymmetric PWM is not the best choice. Think about symmetric signal transmission. Or proper shielding and bonding of your signal, including connection of motor and arduino itself. And, oh, proper grounding/bonding concept for the whole thing.

Hi,
You are looking at a fly by-wire control, these usually have redundancies built in to ensure the data is not corrupted.

For example an automotive fly by-wire throttle has two potentiometers, and the readings form both must be within certain specifications to prevent a "fault" flag.

Why does the Arduino have to be at the operators end?

Tom.... :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

I can't change PWM to an other signal protocol because the ESC can only work with PWM signal input

here what i'm gonna do:

• Shielded cable connected to one ground
  • Wires twisted
  • Coupling capacitor 100nf
  • Shortest cable as possible
  • Conductive paint inside the electronic box.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks for help :+1:

That ESC can

Run[] Oneshot125, Multishot and Proshot Up to 1.2Khz

What informed your decision to use PWM?

a7

Hi,
Where are you going to position the Arduino?

Tom... :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

For metal box not much helps.

Seperate battery for arduino
Just connect your toys and report the problems.