MAX232 inside an Arduino Serial Single Sided

After watching the schematic of the Arduino Serial Single Sided, I wonder:

Couldn't be replaced the 2 transistors close to the serial conector by a MAX232 or ST232 DIP IC ?

I think the 232 device would give volt signals more accurate to what the serial protocol expects.

Placing a 232 would increase the size of the board, but as the Serial Single Sided is thought for handmaking, I think a little size increase would not be a problem.

Any opinion will be welcome.

I think the same thing, and so do others: there are at least two places to buy such boards (here and here), and some folks have released their schematic and board layout files as well. I think at least one of them is single sided.

Check out this thread.

-j

Thank you very much kg4wsv, in such a brief answer the information received was absolutly beautiful and complete.

As I am a novice I had not found your suggested thread by myself, but now I have seen it and I admire your community results.

I think any of the 2 solution kits are highly recommended for anyone who wants to start in Arduino without spending too much. Price is good.

The forum search is known for being less helpful than it could be. Use google by searching for the string "site:arduino.cc whatever" (leave off the quotes, of course).

-j