MAX232 piggy-back board for nix$$

Nothing really new here but something that might save you some time if you ever have to do this:

In a recent project, I had to interface with an RS232 instrument. There is the arduino serial and the Freeduino MAX232 board which could do this. However, I only have the Diecimila. This is a really cheap and simple way of adding serial port. The MAX232 comes free as a sample from MAXIM (actually they give you 2 of each chip), the stripboard, caps and header pins you'll probably have lying around. The only part I purchased was the 9pin COM port, but if you've got an old cable lying around...

There's more room for extra components if the board is extended. All the ports are accessible, though for pins 8-15, a section of the board would have to be removed. Isn't it annoying that the gap between the two 8 pin headers is too thin, and the pins on a stripboard don't line up?

All the ports are accessible, though for pins 8-15, a section of the board would have to be removed.

Your other option is to include header pins but bend them slightly.

Isn't it annoying that the gap between the two 8 pin headers is too thin, and the pins on a stripboard don't line up?

Yes. :-/

--Phil.