MAX31855 and Thermocouples

I am trying to use a MAX31855K to get a reading from a thermocouple that is not K-type. I understand there is no reason this would give a reliable absolute reading, but I am currently getting no reading at all.
I am using the Adafruit library and I keep getting no measurement at all (even though the internal measurement seems to be working well, I get a NaN back). Can anybody explain if there is a reason the component will not amplify anything if it is not the exact type of thermocouple, or whether I might be having another fault?

Thank you,

yahoomaster:
I am trying to use a MAX31855K to get a reading from a thermocouple that is not K-type. I understand there is no reason this would give a reliable absolute reading, but I am currently getting no reading at all.
I am using the Adafruit library and I keep getting no measurement at all (even though the internal measurement seems to be working well, I get a NaN back). Can anybody explain if there is a reason the component will not amplify anything if it is not the exact type of thermocouple, or whether I might be having another fault?

Thank you,

The Max31855K is designed to convert from a K-type thermocouple (-210C = -6.035mV, 1350C=54.138mV)

What is the range of your sensor? the Max31855K will return the converted temperature for inputs from -6.035mV to +54.138mV.

I expect your sensor is producing voltages outside this range. Also, if you do not have a sensor connected it will report an Open Circuit error.

Chuck.