maximum step motors

Hi to all.

I have two questions

1. how many step motors can be connected to arduino board

2. If I would like to make a surface plane to move left and right could I use 2 cloned step motors for each of the axes?
    (I will use some A4988 is a microstepping drivers that I have for each step motor)

I have seen that most 3d printers they are using 4 step motors to control the X, Y, Z axes and in the Z axe they are using 2 step motors that they are cloned.

Thanks in advance

I don't know what you mean by "2 cloned motors". If you mean two motors each applying the exact same steps then that probably just counts as 1 for the Arduino. Each motor will need its own stepper driver but the 2 drivers could receive the same step and direction signals from the Arduino.

There are two types of limitation on the number of stepper motors {A} are there sufficient I/O pins and {B} is the Arduino capable of producing all the steps that are required if several motors are required to move quickly at the same time.

If you want more help please post a link to the datasheet for your stepper motors.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

Good morning
Thanks for the quick reply. You helped me clear or my questions.

Yes, that was what I saying about "cloned" motors

I have all ready make my first experiment and I drived two 28YBJ-48 small step motors from the same stepper controller, an A4988.

I connected then parallel.. The controller has enough power to drive them both.

I have converted the 28YBJ-48 motors to work as bipolar

Thanks again for the help

I have no experience of 28BYJ motors. In general I would advise against connecting 2 motors to a single driver.

...R

Hi
The 28BYJ-48 motors are small cheap unipolar motors but with one small hack they can be converted to a bipolar motors so they double the torgue..

They work at 5v and in 0.350 Amp

So I think that an A4988 controller with 2Amp output can handle them both.. (of course I will have to setup the Amp output of the A4988 to much the one of the 28YBJ - 48 motors in order not to fry them)

caslor:
So I think that an A4988 controller with 2Amp output can handle them both.. (of course I will have to setup the Amp output of the A4988 to much the one of the 28YBJ - 48 motors in order not to fry them)

I suspect the current control on the A4988 will only work when there is a single path for the current.

The A4988 requires a minimum motor supply voltage of 8v.

I don't know if it can be controlled to limit current as low as 350 mA. If it can it would be possible to drive the motor with a much higher voltage.

...R

You could use the AccelStepper library for driving your motors in parallel.
But I would follow Robin2's advice to supply one driver per motor.

Here you can read a bit about the motor and how to drive it in parallel mode with AccelStepper, even using the ULN2003 driver and the motors in their unipolar original version:
https://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/SmallSteppers

Using the A4988 as driver you need to adjust the test sketch to work with bipolar motors.

Its perfectly normal to drive two stepper motors from a single driver, but normally in series, since
you use current control, not voltage control, for a bipolar stepper. Note that this has
a speed penalty unless the driver input voltage is raised.

If you drive two steppers in parallel and increase the current then the motors ought be
identical motors, mechanically in parallel, so that they see the same back EMFs and are likely to
share current properly

Hi again.
I am happy to see that a small question gathered so much attention and info

:relaxed:
Nice community - forum

Robin2:
The A4988 requires a minimum motor supply voltage of 8v.

I don't know if it can be controlled to limit current as low as 350 mA. If it can it would be possible to drive the motor with a much higher voltage.

...R

I have regulated the A4988 to go even under 100mA, it can be done with the impeded potentiometer..

About the voltage supply I think will not a problem.. I have seen lot of thousands (maybe millions) around the world 3d printers working with this type of step controller.
99,5% of them using Nema 17 step motors that have rated voltage from 3-5 volts (depending the manufacturer)

Thanks all for the replies and the knowledge you share with me :relaxed::relaxed: