May I use a max7219 to drive stepper motor ?

I'm facing a project, a seven-segment flip-flop screen, with 4 digits

I'm planning to flip each segment with a stepper (28byj-48), so 28 steppers

In addition, 28 button switches as stoppers, to set zero

By now I have tried with 74hc595 and it works fine, just testing with three steppers

Doing my math I can see I'll need about 20 74hc595, which I found a lot ...

Then, I found the max7219 and I wonder if anyone can point out if it is possible to use it for drive steppers? ... easily?

any help is grateful, thanks

Sorry, no, you can't use max7219 for that.

Stepper motors do not seem like a good choice.

You cannot use 74hc595 to drive stepper motors, not directly.

Can you give details and links for the digit segments? Perhaps we can suggest something better.

Thanks for your answer

I’m now really using 28byj-48 and a ULN2003 module, they just work as spected

Following directions from https://youtu.be/OeqQPlD3mNA

I’m using steppers for no reason except that there is some info arround (like the video)

I wont to use leds because poor visibility, this display is for use at a socker field

I’m planning to build the entire 4 digits …

I’ve searched about flip flop (flip dots) and like them, dont know if a can get something like that using DIY coils ? or cheap ones ?

Any sugestions are welcome, thanks

gusantor:
I’m now really using 28byj-48 and a ULN2003 module, they just work as spected

Those unipolar steppers are driven using 4 outputs of the ULN, the other wire from the stepper goes to +5V

To update a 7-segment ‘flip-flop’ type display you could drive one segment at a time - this will obviously take longer than driving them all simultaneously, but the solenoid-operated displays often do this anyway to reduce total current required.

Doing that, you could reduce the number of drivers required by multiplexing the stepper motors.
e.g.
For one digit, use 4 bits from a 74hc595 drive all 7 stepper motor coils (see below) and another 74hc575 with PNP transistors (or MOSFETs) to switch the +5V to the steppers.

To drive the stepper coils, the 4 outputs from a 74hc575 would each connect to 7 inputs of ULN2003’s driving the 7 steppers.

So you would end up with two 74hc575’s, seven PNP high-side driver transistors and four ULN2003’s to drive all seven stepper motors for a digit.

Yours,
TonyWilk

Thank you, great idea

TonyWilk:
Doing that, you could reduce the number of drivers required by multiplexing the stepper motors.
e.g.
For one digit, use 4 bits from a 74hc595 drive all 7 stepper motor coils (see below) and another 74hc575 with PNP transistors (or MOSFETs) to switch the +5V to the steppers.

To drive the stepper coils, the 4 outputs from a 74hc575 would each connect to 7 inputs of ULN2003’s driving the 7 steppers.

So you would end up with two 74hc575’s, seven PNP high-side driver transistors and four ULN2003’s to drive all seven stepper motors for a digit.

Maybe I’m not getting whole idea but ain’t two 74hc575’s, seven PNP high-side driver transistors and one ULN2003’s to drive all seven stepper motors for a digit. <— maybe four for all four digits ?

please correct me if I’m misunderstanding

gusantor:
Maybe I’m not getting whole idea but ain’t two 74hc575’s, seven PNP high-side driver transistors and one ULN2003’s to drive all seven stepper motors for a digit. <— maybe four for all four digits ?

To drive the stepper’s coils you need 4 drives, but you need to separate the steppers (otherwise you have the coils of all the stepper motors in parallel).

So, you could use 4 outputs of one ULN2003 and diodes to each stepper coil
or, maybe simpler to wire up, just use separate ULN’s.

Yours,
TonyWilk

Wouldn't this be much easier with servos? No driver circuits required. No switches as stoppers required. Less power consumption.

Whether you use servos or steppers, you may be able to get each motor to drive 2 segments. 4 positions could mechanically turn to show neither, one segment, the other segment or both segments. You could drive segments E & F with one motor, B & C with another. If you build two digits together, 3 more motors could control the A, G & D segments of both digits together.

Thank you all for your answers

I'll review them slowly to get the best of each

thanks