MCP1702 regulator with motor controlle

I'm using a TB6612 motor driver with my Arduino Mini. I don't want to use separate batteries, so I was thinking about using an MCP1702 regulator. Seems like this should be no problem to drive the motor with two Li-Ion batteries and then use the MCP1702 to regulate the voltage down to 3.3V for the arduino and other circuitry. Anyone done this before? This is a low power application so I'm not using the onboard regulator.

Yes it would work but:-

This is a low power application so I'm not using the onboard regulator.

Makes no sense at all. What is the difference between using the on board regulator and an external one?

That is a linear regulator and it burns off excess power as heat. For proper efficient you need a switching regulator, sometimes called a buck regulator.

Thanks for the response. I should confirm in a few days if this works or not. But, when the MPU goes into sleep mode, the onboard regulator continues to draw significant power. I think it's pretty well documented that for long battery life the first thing to do is ditch the stock regulator. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I've read and my own testing confirms it.

Any liner regulator will burn power when not loaded what makes you think that your replacement will draw less?

I haven't tested myself, but I'll let you know what I find. These guys would seem to disagree with you.

http://jeelabs.org/2011/06/21/mcp1702-current-draw/