mcp23017 vs SX1509: what's the difference?

I'm sorry for what i feel being a dumb question, but i can't get my mind around it:

what are the "usage" differences between these two modules? In which cases should i pick one over the other?

Thanks

Tell about Your demands, what performance You expect. Else only Your mother can tell.

The SX1509 can output PWM signals, has the keypad engine for a keyboard switch matrix and a oscillator (clock) input/output.

Those are functions that the MCP23008/MCP23017 chips do not have.

They both have pin change interrupts.

The MCP chips have internal pullups that can be enabled, I did not see that for the 1509 chips.

The 1509 chips run at 3.3V (1.2V-3.6V) and inputs are 5V tolerant. MCP parts can run at 1.8V to 5.5V

The MCP parts can be purchased in through hole packages (DIP), the 1509 parts cannot be had in through hole packages, but there are breakout boards available.

I linked the data sheets so you can read for yourself.

Railroader:
Tell about Your demands, what performance You expect. Else only Your mother can tell.

It would have been so generic that it will irritate myself. But as you're asking:
i'm wondering about building an ambientlight for my PC, and i want to build a "large" game controller that i could use also as a MIDI controller, and depending on how it sorts out, perhaps as a "videoediting" control for my son. And perhaps with some "intelligent" led-lighting added in it.
While (as a programmer) i can figure out the software part of this all, i'm not so found in electronics (actually, my schools years gave me much more knowledge about 20-100KV, power lines and hydroelectric turbines than 5 volts, inputs, pullups, PWM, etc) so i'm easily lost in datasheets.
I don't want to buy the wrong thing, and i'd like to pick the "most flexible" device for my pseudo-plans. But also i'm still undecided about what to build. Understanding what does what is a step in choosing what to build first.

And that two objects almost looks the same, to my ignorant eyes.

groundFungus:
The SX1509 can output PWM signals, has the keypad engine for a keyboard switch matrix and a oscillator (clock) input/output.

Those are functions that the MCP23008/MCP23017 chips do not have.

They both have pin change interrupts.

The MCP chips have internal pullups that can be enabled, I did not see that for the 1509 chips.

The 1509 chips run at 3.3V (1.2V-3.6V) and inputs are 5V tolerant. MCP parts can run at 1.8V to 5.5V

The MCP parts can be purchased in through hole packages (DIP), the 1509 parts cannot be had in through hole packages, but there are breakout boards available.

I linked the data sheets so you can read for yourself.

Thanks a lot, your explanation is very useful.

First decide what you want to build, as detailed as possible, then you can figure out how you're going to build it.

It seems most of your build revolves around LEDs - there are more parts that you can use for controlling them, and you may actually be best off with individually addressable LEDs (WS2812B), very easy top program and no need for port extenders.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.