MCUs bought from ebay : ATMEGA32U4, ATMEGA1284p

Anyone got any experience with above MCU chips brought from Far Eastern ebay sellers?

They seem to be much cheaper compared to other well known sources.....

ATmega1284P on ebay seems to be at least for same price or more. Can you provide a link for cheaper ones? I'm buying from official stores.

I have the same findings as Budvar10 on the ATmega1284P. I usually buy cheap stuff from China on eBay or Aliexpress and hope for the best but with the ATmega1284P I never found a good price so I always buy those from Digikey, Mouser, or Arrow. I'd take a gamble on some sketchy ATmega1284P-PU if the price was right.

I've never had an interest in buying bare ATmega32U4 chips but I have bought a bunch of the cheap Chinese Pro Micro clones and never had a problem other than that the micro USB jacks break off pretty easily.

I once bought some ATmega328Ps from eBay, they would not run at 3.3V and 8Mhz, so no use for my application.

I buy ATmega1284P from SOS, TME or Mouser, depending on actual price and availability.

You can go to the allicdata mall to buy it.

ATmega1284P on ebay seems to be at least for same price or more. Can you provide a link for cheaper ones? I’m buying from official stores.

Sometimes you can get even cheaper listing, but right now I can find this

Isabelya:
You can go to the allicdata mall to buy it.

Can you provide a link ?

Watcher:

Hmm, yes this one is slightly cheaper.
I have no experience with ATmegas from ebay, I've just read that some people had problems but some not. I'm suggesting to go for it and let us to know.

P.S.: My personal experience is with FT232RL from ebay. They all offer fakes and there are differences between genuine and fake chip. I'm definitely recommending to use genuine FT232RL.
EDIT: On the other side a lot of people uses Arduinos from ebay without problems and I doubt they have ATmegas from different sources as is in the offers on ebay.

pert:
I've never had an interest in buying bare ATmega32U4 chips but I have bought a bunch of the cheap Chinese Pro Micro clones and never had a problem other than that the micro USB jacks break off pretty easily.

And on the Nanos. Crap solder.

Budvar10:
My personal experience is with FT232RL from eBay. They all offer fakes and there are differences between genuine and fake chip. I'm definitely recommending to use genuine FT232RL.

For what? Why would you use a FT232, even a genuine one from a sociopathic company that puts out drivers designed to cause people problems?

OK, so the documentation is crap, but CH340s seem to work fine - and there are two other options.

Watcher:

You can get them for $5.26/ea in single quantities or $4.84 on 25+ with free international shipping on a minimum order of $20 from Arrow right now (the free shipping is a temporary promotion):
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/atmega1284p-au/microchip-technology
https://www.arrow.com/en/terms-and-conditions/free-overnight-shipping
I don't think it's worth it to take the risk of dealing with China for such a small discount.

Budvar10:
P.S.: My personal experience is with FT232RL from ebay. They all offer fakes and there are differences between genuine and fake chip. I'm definitely recommending to use genuine FT232RL.

Yes, all the cheap ones are fake but for $1.63 with free shipping for a module (less on Aliexpress), I'm happy with my counterfeits. I wouldn't put them on a product for sale but for my own use they're great. I bought mine before the CH340 hit. The CH340 is great and a little cheaper than the counterfeit FTDI232 but the pinout on the cheapest CH340 modules is terrible so you need to do some searching for the more expensive ones with the "FTDI header" pinout.

Paul__B:
And on the Nanos. Crap solder.

I've never had a problem with the Nanos but I've lost two Pro Micro jacks and a friend who I buy them for has also lost at least two. The USB mini jacks have four mounting tabs while the USB micro has only two. And the micro's tabs are smaller than the mini's.

pert:
The USB mini jacks have four mounting tabs while the USB micro has only two. And the micro's tabs are smaller than the mini's.

Probably why they call them "micro". :grinning: :grinning:

Ah, yes. It must be because it takes one micronewton to break them.

" sociopathic company that puts out drivers designed to cause people problems"

Why do you keep bringing that up? That was addressed & resolved 2-3 years ago now.

And you can't even buy a CH340 chip from the distributors in the US.