Measure atmosferic seeing FWHM

Anyone have any idea what kind of sensor I can use to measure atmospheric seeing? (FWHM).
Thank you!
Alessandro

Please explain what you mean by "atmospheric seeing".

jremington:
Please explain what you mean by "atmospheric seeing".

This: Astronomical seeing - Wikipedia

atpalex:
This: Astronomical seeing - Wikipedia

OK, now we know what you were referring to. Do yo have a link to explain how to MEASURE it, not how to calculate it?
Paul

As described in the Wikipedia article you linked, you can use a telescope to make the measurement, valid at the time of the observation. Most people would use a CCD image plate or camera as the sensor.

The most common seeing measurement is the full width at half maximum (FWHM) of the optical intensity across the seeing disc (the point spread function for imaging through the atmosphere). The FWHM of the point spread function (loosely called seeing disc diameter or "seeing") is the best possible angular resolution that can be achieved by an optical telescope in a long-exposure image, and corresponds to the FWHM of the fuzzy blob seen when observing a point-like source (such as a star) through the atmosphere. The size of the seeing disc is determined by the seeing conditions at the time of the observation

jremington:
As described in the Wikipedia article you linked, you can use a telescope to make the measurement, valid at the time of the observation. Most people would use a CCD image plate or camera as the sensor.

Then the telescope is the sensor of choice for that project.
Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Then the telescope is the sensor of choice for that project.

The telescope isn't a sensor though ... it's a signal pre-conditioner. :slight_smile: 8)

I don't typically like image-related projects because the processing is all black-box, and/or because I'm completely ignorant in that field. But this project seems eminently do-able and understand-able, since the sensor information would correspond to mostly dark sky with well-defined (or less well defined) bright points. (Or maybe lots and lots of bright points, if the OP is well out in the country somewhere.)
S.

search terms OpenCV, astrophotography? I'd also checkout Python image processing, perhaps
start here: 4 Python tools for getting started with astronomy | Opensource.com

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.