measure body temp

Hello,

I'm fairly novice at arduino, but i want to create a body thermometer.

I have NTC thermistors, and LM35 sensors.. are they good to measure the body temperature?
and if not, what is the good sensor to measure the body temperature.

also can is there a way to use the sensor of the digital thermometer with arduino? and how?

I want to make a project to meet the medical standards.

if anyone could advice and help it would be so appreciated.

Thanks

Well, to meet medical standards, you are going to have to deal with all sorts of issues having to do with isolation as well as liability issues. Not sure what they all are, however, when I was working in avionics design, to meet the FAA etc. requirements, we had to live by DO-178B, which I believe also applies to the medical stuff. I have not worked in the medical field, but have friends that did and they indicated they had to live to the same standards we did. See DO-178B - Wikipedia (talk about "opening a can of worms" !!)

I have NTC thermistors, and LM35 sensors.. are they good to measure the body temperature?

Probably, but whatever you use it's difficult to get good thermal conductivity and electrical insulation at the same time. So with the (required) electrical insulation it will probably be slow.

Also, whatever you use it has to be calibrated. The specified accuracy of an 1/2 degree which is not good enough (without calibration), and any kind of "accurate" thermometer has to be calibrated/validated as a finished device/system because there are other things that can affect accuracy.

also can is there a way to use the sensor of the digital thermometer with arduino?

Yes. You should be abole to find examples. The LM35 puts-out a voltage that's proportional to temperature and the Arduino's ADC gives a reading that's proportional to voltage. You simply have to do some calculations and then [u]map()[/u] the ADC reading to temperature.

And of course, you need some kind of display.

I want to make a project to meet the medical standards.

I'm not sure what you mean... There is lots of bureaucracy, lawyers, testing, and time involved in FDA (or other regulatory agency) approval. You can try your best to make it safe and accurate but unless you are a lawyer and an engineer you are not going to understand the standards, much less meet them. (In the real world it takes a bit team of lawyers and engineers.)

DVDdoug:
(In the real world it takes a big team of lawyers and engineers.)

Correct - the engineers design the project and the lawyers tell them they can't do that - they don't have any constructive ideas, just tell you "nope - you can't do that" (based on my avionics design experience and anecdotal evidence from friends in the medical industry). And lay people want to know why it costs $1 million to change a single line of code in something !!! :o