Measure instant speed with GPS neo 6m

Hi everyone.

I'm french so sorry for my bad language but I'm gonna try to do the best as I can.

My project is to measure instant speed with the GPS I mentioned.

I'm actually searching for a program to make this work.

Precisely, the gps will be measuring the speed of an HOVERBOARD, and the information (km/h) must be send to a phone (by bluethooth but this is all done).

Do you guys have any advices, programs, or piece of programs I can add to my program, (wich, for the moment, only give the lines with NMEA (GGA) with longitude, latitude, satelites...) ?

Thanks for help, it's a really important project for exams. :o

Use a standard Arduino GPS library such as TinyGPSplus.

See the \examples folder of the library for some examples of how to use the library.

Measuring the instantaneous speed of a hoverboard, when you get "you are here, approximately" data once per second is NOT possible.

Can you adjust the GPS settings to output one of the standard sentences which includes speed?

MorganS:
Can you adjust the GPS settings to output one of the standard sentences which includes speed?

Even if you do, the speed data will be up to one second old. Hardly instantaneous, as OP suggested was needed.

MorganS:

All the Neo 6M GPSs I have come across send out at least the GGA and RMC sentences by default.

RMC reports the speed over ground.

ALL measurements involving speed need some distance covered to extrapolate a reading.

If you want an instantaneous reading then theoretically your speed is zero as you have no distance travelled to measure against.

That's why gps gives speed over ground at intervals. It needs time to measure.

tasmod:
ALL measurements involving speed need some distance covered to extrapolate a reading.

If you want an instantaneous reading then theoretically your speed is zero as you have no distance travelled to measure against.

That's why gps gives speed over ground at intervals. It needs time to measure.

Thank you, I was going to make the same point.

But, does not GPS assume a smooth earth in it's speed calculation? Moving in other than a straight line in all planes will not give you the exact "speed".

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Thank you, I was going to make the same point.

But, does not GPS assume a smooth earth in it's speed calculation? Moving in other than a straight line in all planes will not give you the exact "speed".

Paul

I agree with Paul.

Even though you can get a NEO-6M to output data at a 10Hz refresh rate, it's a much more robust solution to do something like a rotary encoder(s) on the hoverboard axle(s) - if possible

Yes gps does assume smooth earth. It is not accurate vertically.
Climbing a 100m wall at 1m/s shows gps is very inaccurate. (and that's superman speed)

With a hoverboard (does it exist except in Back to the Future) you would have to use a IR sensor aimed down to the road(?) surface. Else a pitot tube if it's flying............gps will give speed directly in km/hr but at 1 second delayed intervals from one of the standard sentences

Incidently the digital speedos in vehicles using optical/mechanical methods are not instantaneous. They jump horribly under fast acceleration unlike the old cable driven smooth speedometers.

So which GPSs use doppler to measure speed, that would provide an instantaneuos speed readout ?