Measured voltage, Nano v3 dies, cannot power/IO via USB.

Hi!

I have searched for an answer but I have not found one, maybe there is, so please link in that case...

Ok, the problem:

• With multimeter I tried to get the voltage on +5 and GND, but as soon as pins touched, the Nano went off.
  • Nothing happens when connected to USB, no lights, no recognition in windows, no nothing.
  • Can power the Nano via external supply, but still no communication with PC...

No visible damage...

Any ideas?

Best regards!

I'm going to guess you had the multimeter on a current range instead of voltage, and you've shorted the USB supply

Actually no.

Have tested other cables and supplies... The computer did warn voltage spike when it happened.

Thx

fredrik_eliasson:
Actually no.

Have tested other cables and supplies... The computer did warn voltage spike when it happened.

Thx

If the computer warned of an issue you did something very wrong, possibly shorting something either by measuring current or shorting two pins together with one of the multimeter probes.

It is likely you have blown a fuse or power regulator.

Ok, thanks. But is there a way to fix this? Im new to NANO, but can solder and sh*t

Can you power it from V in? Or power it from the 5V line?

VIN, should I try the other aswell?

Powering through the 5v+ does not work.

CORRECTION:

All of a sudden it does work. So power on VIN and 5V+ both works...

But power Via USB doesn't?

I suspect an onboard fuse. You will have to refer to the schematic for the board.

Exactly... But n00b as I am, I cant really find any...

And, even if I get it to power on, communication on USB is dead. Can it be the USB-chip?

Post a link to where you bought your board from so I can check...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371179046470?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thank you for your time! I bricked just after a 3 week wait, and feel kinda stupid...

It's not an official board, it also has a CH340 chip on it (which is fine, we sell ones with the same chip).

Email the seller and ask if they can check if there is a fuse on board.

We sell a CH340 based USB to serial converter which has a resetable poly fuse on it. I take it you have unplugged it and plugged it back in to power cycle it?

Thank you!

Will do that!

I have upowered and powered again, if that is what you mean?

Yes. Completely disconnect and then try USB only... (just in case you haven't already)

Yeah, thanks, but I have tried that... Like a million times :wink:

fredrik_eliasson:
Yeah, thanks, but I have tried that... Like a million times :wink:

I suspect you exaggerate.. :wink:

Right So..

You possibly shorted some wires, and it stopped working.

After a bit of fiddling the Atmega328 powers up OK, but still nothing on USB?

Just to confirm that if you plug the USB and power the device with external power the Atmega328 works but nothing at all in device manager?

You obviously loaded the CH340 drivers at some point as otherwise you could not have got a sketch on it?