Measuring amprage...

So I am trying to make this really easy project. I wanna have a coca-cola can (aluminium can) connected to a current from the arduino and basically when i tap the can, it should make the amprage lower, but in some way i need to have the arduino measuring my amprage and then when i tap it, it could play a sound or something on the output. Ive seen these sensors, but there must be a more raw way to do it? And the other sideeffect to not using a sensor for this is that when the wires heat up, the amprage lowers automatically but thats something ill have to worry about later :smiley: How do i do this? how do i measure the amprage?

Kind regards

• Arijan

How much current are you thinking of that could cause wires to heat up?

An Arduino I/O pin should not be expected to provide more than 20mA.

How will tapping a piece of aluminium affect the current flowing through it?

...R

Exactly what are you trying to control? An AC light dimmer is different from a [u]dimming an LED[/u] or controlling a heater, or controlling the speed of a motor, etc.

And in these cases, you don't normally measure anything. And when we do, we usually measure voltage because current in order to measure current we have to break the circuit to insert the ammeter. (You can measure voltage without disturbing the circuit.)

For example, light dimmers typically work by turning the voltage on & off rapidly. If the voltage is in half the time, current will flow half the time, and the light will appear to be half-bright... No need to "measure". Heater thermostats work by turning the power on & off more slowly. (I'm sure you've noticed that heaters cycle on & off.)

Im new to this sorry... Basically i want so when i tap the can, i want the arduino board to output a sound to a speaker... Something like makey makey :slight_smile: This is my first official arduino project really

neyko:
Im new to this sorry... Basically i want so when i tap the can, i want the arduino board to output a sound to a speaker...

That seems as if you want to use the can as a touch sensitive switch.

That can be done, but I don't know how myself.

I suspect Googling "Arduino touch sensitive switch" might be an idea.

...R

Found this video! Helped me alot! If anyone wants to do something alike my first project, watch this CapSense: Capacitive Switch - YouTube

Thanks Robin2 +karma

But for the Capacitive Sensing, do i actually need coppar??? cuz the cocacola can is made out of aluminium?? any1?

neyko:
But for the Capacitive Sensing, do i actually need coppar???

I doubt it.

But you would have been able to carry out a real test and find out more quickly by experiment than by asking a question here :slight_smile:

...R

do i actually need coppar

Smartphone touchscreens are constructed from indium tin oxide (ITO), so no, you don't need copper.