measuring frequency

Hello,
I have a microphone connected to an analog input in an Arduino Fio controller.
My goal is to see which frequencies were received at the microphone, and to print the frequencies value.

Thank you,
Saleit

Hello,
I have a microphone connected to an analog input in an Arduino Fio controller.
My goal is to see which frequencies were received at the microphone, and to print the frequencies value.

Thank you,
Saleit

Do not cross post delete the other thread.

What sort of sound? For anything except a simple tone this is almost impossible because there are many frequencies all changing over time.

search for FFT (Fast Fourier analysis) - it will do the job.

How do you intend to do that? What does a reading from the analog pin, that the microphone is connected to, of 527 tell you about frequency? Nothing, nada, zip, zilch. The Arduino with a microphone is not suitable for what you want.

There are chips that can convert microphone data to frequency data, but they are pretty much limited to "I got something in range 1, nothing in range 2, 3, 4, something in range 5, 6, and 7". without telling you what the ranges are or what was in the range.

My goal is to identify whether there is a "Heron" bird around. Heron birds make sound in frequency of 1500Hz

familiar with - http://lib.tkk.fi/Dipl/2004/urn007935.pdf - ?

That's speech recognition , not analog input.
The "speech" may not be human but the principles are the same.
Get a speech recognition system and teach it the sound of a heron bird. It's the same as teaching it to understand "ET phone home".
Ask Mike pointed out you need to run it through an FFT. If the sound of a heron bird is pure enough then you should see as strong spike at 1500 hertz.