Measuring power consumption of a house

I want to measure the power consumption of my house. We dont have smart meters so that is not an option. What is the best way to measure power consumed?

Do you have a conventional power meter? If so, read it every day.

Empty imported post

I believe many electricity meters have an led or a visible wheel that flashes or rotates once for every kWhr (or maybe part of a kWhr). Perhaps you could build something to count those.

I suspect Google will find you plenty of ideas but I don't think independently counting kWhrs is a simple business. You could probably use a clamp-on current detector. But the current varies throughout the AC cycle so you need a lot of samples.

...R

Robin2: I believe many electricity meters have an led or a visible wheel that flashes or rotates once for every kWhr (or maybe part of a kWhr). Perhaps you could build something to count those.

I suspect Google will find you plenty of ideas but I don't think independently counting kWhrs is a simple business. You could probably use a clamp-on current detector. But the current varies throughout the AC cycle so you need a lot of samples.

...R

Not all country electricity is like yours, Robin. In North America, the residential power is delivered from a center tapped transformer. If the OP has this type power, he will need to have two clamp-on units and associated electronics. Also will need to have a licensed electrician open the electrical breaker panel and attach the clamp-on units.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB: In North America, the residential power is delivered from a center tapped transformer. If the OP has this type power, he will need to have two clamp-on units and associated electronics.

Interesting. i certainly did not know that.

Also will need to have a licensed electrician open the electrical breaker panel and attach the clamp-on units.

Agreed, if the installation is inside the panel. I had assumed it would be possible to attach it outside the panel - but maybe by that stage there would be several cables to monitor.

I have long thought it a pity that a standard electricity installation does not have something like a speedometer that shows the instantaneous amps being consumed. But the utilities would not like that because it would encourage users to consume less energy.

...R

All the old analog meters have a spinning disc you can watch to see the current consumption rate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_meter#Electromechanical_meters

And utility companies have a vested interest in you using less electricity then they can save money on making the electricity, and also a vested interest in you using more electricity so they can charge you more. Their profit is the difference between income and expenditure, so that tired argument doesn't really make sense.

Here's a blog from someone in Arizona who did what you want as a precursor to reducing his power bills:

desert home

https://openenergymonitor.org/