Measuring Power of Nova Kit

Hi guys, so I'm hoping to measure the power of the board below:

The board itself is powered through a battery where you can sort of see the clip in the picture. I was wondering what the most non-intrusive way of measuring the power of this board would be? Its similar to a cut down leonardo if that helps.

My thought process at the moment is to remove the battery and power it through the 5v and ground pin, with a multimeter measuring current in series to the 5v pin. I can then obtain my power through the P=IV relationship?

The other thing is I may want to add a SD card being powered by the same board and same 5v and ground pins, I would assume that this would also be measured as part of my power consumption (which I would like it too)?

Cheers guys.

Can't work out where / what type of battery.... Perhaps a better photo needed?

MarkT: Can't work out where / what type of battery.... Perhaps a better photo needed?

On the right of the 32u4 chip is typically where the battery go's (the little gold circle thing), but I was hoping to not use the battery at all and instead, power it through an external adapter so I know I will get a constant 5v through the 5v and ground pins, as opposed to where the battery typically is placed.

I was also wondering whether I can either place a multimeter in series, or possibly a 1ohm resistor and measuring the voltage across it to obtain my power value.