Measuring PV output power w current sensor/ Voltage divider + displaying on LCD

Hello !

In my first arduino project, i need to measure the output power of a PV module. I concluded that i can measure both the current and voltage separately then compile them within the arduino code to give me power.

I need general guidance on:-
1- How to approach this goal ?
2- How to use current sensors and connect them ?
3- How to use LCDs and connect them ?
4- Coding !!

Schematics are most welcomed

Please note that i have a very little experience with arduino so please bare with me
Thanks in advance

i need to measure the output power of a PV module.

A link to the PV module might be useful.

1- How to approach this goal ?

Carefully.

2- How to use current sensors and connect them ?

Which current sensor?

3- How to use LCDs and connect them ?

Which LCD?

4- Coding !!

What are your requirements? What hardware?

so please bare with me

I'll keep my clothes on, thanks, but feel free to take yours off.

PaulS, Thank you for your fast reply

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, but as i wrote in the original topic thread, i have no experience with arduino so please try to take it slow with the me.

1- I haven't decided yet a specific PV module but any 10-30 W module should do just fine.
2- I will approach it carefully, thank you.
3- In the matter of fact, i have no clue what are the types of current sensors available, please enlighten me with the least complicated type to cope with my little experience, same goes for the LCD.
4- I need to measure the power of the PV module and display it on the LCD, I'll be usng Arduino UNO.
5- I'll keep my clothes too, but thanks for the generous offer.

I log the data from my 30-watt (nominal) solar system with a UNO, a datalogging shield from Adafruit (RTC & SdCard) & two INA219 breakout boards (also from Adafruit). One INA219 reports PV current into the batteries, the other current to the load (inverter). The breakouts are socketted on the proto area of the shield. Most of the complexity is handled by the various libraries.

I swap SdCards between 60-second samples and analyse the data (time, voltage, current in, out) with a perl script.

Google "arduino pv monitor" for lots of project ideas.

To start with treat this as 2 separate projects.

One project will detect data from the solar panel and display the results as simply as possible on the PC serial monitor.

The other project will allow you to figure out how to display simple data on an LCD screen.

When you can do these things separately it will be time to combine them.

Bear in mind that if you want help here it will be easier to understand your solar panel code if it is not confused by LCD code. And it will be easier to give advice about the LCD code if it is not confused with solar panel code.

...R

i have no clue what are the types of current sensors available

Pick a couple of vendors for Arduino'ish stuff... Maybe Adafruit.com and Sparkfun.com
Look over the voltage/current stuff.

Research what others are doing:

Maybe search this forum:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=171726.0

Start with a piece of paper or Excel.

• How many analog inputs
  • How many digital inputs
  • How many digital outputs
  • How many digital outputs requiring drivers (relays, FETs, etc.)
  • What kind of display? How many outputs are required?
  • How many voltages? 5V, 3.3V, others?

Decide on the Arduino platform. Find sample code for the sensors. Purchase, Assemble, Program.

Ray