Measuring speed and mapping path of a barbell

Hello,

I am interested in getting some advice on what hardware is required to build a simple 3 axis accelerometer. that can be attached to a barbell to track bar speed and map the path. If possible I would like the device to provide audio feed back based on established parameters for speed of movement, count the number of reps, and track the force applied to the bar. Also are blue tooth adapters available?

thanks

The hard part IMO will be keeping track of the orientation of the sensor package, and this implies that you will need gyros as well as accelerometers. The fact that it's following a closed path will make the problem much easier. On the hardware side, you could look at something like the boards designed for use with autonomous drones, which integrate all these sensor on the main Arduino motherboard.

Could the sensor package be fixed in its orientation so that it would always know the direction? Also could the micro board be used? Is there a blue tooth adapter?

lisnyder: Could the sensor package be fixed in its orientation so that it would always know the direction?

I would have thought not, on the basis that a barbell is always free to rotate around the axis of the bar. If you're willing to constrain it then yes, you could fix its orientation.

Get some of those with bends in the bars, or handles, or other asymmetrical shapes.