Measuring voltage/TEER (transepithelial resistance) with arduino

Hello, I am trying to figure out if it is possible to measure the barrier function of a cell monolayer in a transwell using an arduino. Normally you would use a very expensive TEER measuring device which is essentially a pair of chopsticks, which pass a current through the media, and the resistance gives you a value for the strength of your cellular barrier. When you measure this over a few days, you should see an increase in resistance, and that's your barrier. You can then throw in compounds to disrupt this barrier etc etc.

Whilst in previous labs we did have this equipment, my current one doesn't and we can't afford to buy one, so we are using a less sensitive method involving labelled molecules.

I'm not an expert in electronics/arduino, but Im wondering if anyone has attempted to mimic TEER equipment with an arduino? I have read a number of papers where people are using fabricated chips connected to arduino, but we need to use transwell/chopstick method.

If someone has already tried this, i'd love to know if it's worth it!

cheers

What range of resistances are you looking for? Do your "chopsticks" react chemically with the liquid and produce their own voltage that counters the resistance?

Paul

The information i found from the literature is that a small AC signal is used to measure the strength of your tight junctions in you cellular monolayer. The chopsticks are Ag/AgCl electrodes, and the low current used is 10µA. The cells are grown in an insert which allows the chopsticks to be on either side of the layer of cells, the current passes through, and you can then use Ohms law to calculate the resistance and therefore your barrier function.

I'm not an expert in electronics, but as the commercial version of the equipment is very expensive, I'm looking into cheaper alternatives - assuming it is possible.

The following is the tech specs from the company that manufactures them:

MEMBRANE VOLTAGE RANGE ±199.0 mV
VOLTAGE MEASUREMENT 0.1mV
RESISTANCE RANGES 0 to 9999 ohm
RESISTANCE RESOLUTION 1 ohm
AC SQUARE WAVE CURRENT ±10 µA at 12.5 Hz
POWER Internal rechargeable 6V NiMH 2200 mAH battery with external 12VDC supply for recharging
SHIPPING WEIGHT 3 lb (1.4 Kg)
ELECTRODE CONNECTION RJ-11 Connector (telephone style)
TEST RESISTOR External
ENVIRONMENTAL RANGE 10-38 C (50-100 F) 0 - 90% non-condensing relative humidity

Would be good to get an idea if this is worth pursuing, or there's a reason why I can't find someone thats tried it!

I guess you are going to have to become an expert in electronics.

Paul