Medal Detecting

Hello fellow makers!

I am taking on a project of trying to detect when medal is brought into my room. Iv done some searching and I cant seem to find any help, so does anyone have any ideas?

Hi,

Depends on the type of "medal" / Metal. Magnetic? Magnetized? What do you have??

I brought my 1957 NRA Marksmanship Medal close to an Arduino UNO but it did not react. My wife did, saying "What the heck is THAT?"

Haha very funny Terry! But its funny that you brought up the NRA because the metal I am trying to detect is the metal on a gun. Im just brain storming solutions to guns on school grounds and thought that I would make a small prototype for my room!

Hi Reed,

the metal I am trying to detect is the metal on a gun.

That's a worthwhile project.

MOST pistols and certainly all long guns have a lot of ferrous metal (steel) in them.

I suggest you research the "metal detectors" used in some schools and many other places. I THINK that there are two main detection approaches:

(1) Detect changing magnetic field

(2) Detect "any metal" by measuring the change in frequency of an oscillator due to the presence of something that changes it's electromagnetic environment.

Look at the technology behind the "Metal Detectors" that are used to search for coins etc.

ReedOsbrink:
Haha very funny Terry! But its funny that you brought up the NRA because the metal I am trying to detect is the metal on a gun. Im just brain storming solutions to guns on school grounds and thought that I would make a small prototype for my room!

It's called a metal detector and they already have them. Matter of fact, in many schools you have to walk though one to get inside.

Now, if you can invent something that gives those same kids a sense of empathy and community so they'll stop trying to hurt each other that would probably be much more worthwhile.

Delta_G:
It's called a metal detector and they already have them. Matter of fact, in many schools you have to walk though one to get inside.

Now, if you can invent something that gives those same kids a sense of empathy and community so they'll stop trying to hurt each other that would probably be much more worthwhile.

it exists !!!
greatest community in the world !
best community !