Medium/Long Distance sensing

I'd like to set up some proximity sensors around my car, with a range of about 5 to 10 feet or so. Has any one had any success with longer range sensors that might be compatible with Arduino?

Thanks!

Sorry but I don't think this can be done at this distance and all round the car. Probably best is an in car mounted dog, although the programming can be tricky. ;)

My sister's good at programming dogs. Me, I stick to devices that accept C (and don't bite). Maybe the OP could compromise and hack an aibo to sound like a rotweiller.

A few years ago there was a car alarm on the market that detected when people came close and made an announcement suggesting they move away.

This, of course, didn't work at all - all the kids in the vicinty were attracted to it playing games like: can you touch the car without the alarm going off; or will it detect balls, jumpers, stones etc being thrown towards the car. All good fun for the kids, but not exactly what the owner had in mind.

I never found out how the detection was done, sorry.

Mike

A few years ago there was a car alarm on the market that detected when people came close and made an announcement suggesting they move away.

This, of course, didn't work at all - all the kids in the vicinty were attracted to it playing games like: can you touch the car without the alarm going off; or will it detect balls, jumpers, stones etc being thrown towards the car. All good fun for the kids, but not exactly what the owner had in mind.

I never found out how the detection was done, sorry.

Mike

no doubt you were too busy having fun throwing balls and stones at the car ;)