Mega 2560 bootloader led blink

I it possible to remove the startup (bootloader) led blinking in pin 13? I would still like to use the bootloader for uploading sketches but i can't rewire to another pin :confused:

Tady:
I it possible to remove the startup (bootloader) led blinking in pin 13? I would still like to use the bootloader for uploading sketches but i can't rewire to another pin :confused:

You would have to edit the bootloader source code to remove all references to that port/pin, recompile it and upload as a new bootloader.

There are options for the make file to create an OptiBoot bootloader. One or two of those options are for the led.
Don't ask me how to do it, I managed to create a bootloader with OptiBoot a few times, but still don't understand it very well.

Peter_n:
There are options for the make file to create an OptiBoot bootloader. One or two of those options are for the led.
Don't ask me how to do it, I managed to create a bootloader with OptiBoot a few times, but still don't understand it very well.

I have a 2K bootloader for the MEGA2560. It's got all the monitor stuff removed. It's nice to have the extra 6K of PROGMEM available (although I have yet to NEED it).

[b]@Tady:[/b] If you want, I can compile a custom bootloader for you that completely leaves alone "pin 13" and either email you a HEX file or else I can put it on my web server and give you a link for it. You will need to have a way to burn the new file into your board though.

If you want this, let me know and also let me know exactly what board you have (I assume a MEGA2560 R3 board?)

-- Roger

Krupsky i would be very thankfull if you would do that for me. I never compiled a bootloader befor so i don't have experience. Is it possible you can edit the upgraded bootloader for the mega with watchdog support? Yes it's a 2560 r3 :slight_smile: thank you

Tady:
Krupsky i would be very thankfull if you would do that for me. I never compiled a bootloader befor so i don't have experience. Is it possible you can edit the upgraded bootloader for the mega with watchdog support? Yes it's a 2560 r3 :slight_smile: thank you

I can send you a bootloader hex file no problem. I don't know what you mean by "watchdog support" though. A "watchdog" is a timer that needs to be periodically reset by a running program. If the program doesn't reset the timer in time (maybe because it locked up), then the watchdog timer runs out and triggers a hardware reset which hopefully clears up the problem and allows the program to run.

A watchdog is usually used with unattended controllers where it's not possible or practical for someone to go and press a reset button.

What exactly do you want as far as "watchdog support"?

Also, do you want the "stock" 8K bootloader with the Pin 13 stuff removed, or do you want my "custom" 2K bootloader? The only differences are that my bootloader doesn't have the monitor program in it (the thing you bring up with the "!!!" command and also you save 6K of program memory.

Let me know and I'll get it to you.

-- Roger

I don't need the monitor function... With the watchdog i meant that i know that mega's have problems with it... I made a terrarium controller for my pet lizzard bearded dragon an when i added the watchdog function it didn't work when i made the program freeze on purpose... The mega resets but the led on pin 13 starts to blink very fast... So i searched the forum and found out that megas have problems with the watchdog function... So someone edited the bootloader and fixed it... So i downloaded the new bootloader and upgraded my mega and now everything works perfectly. My program is running for half a year now.
It's there just for safety, so if the program would lockup when the heater is on, it resets so it doesn't fry my lizzard :grinning:
In this case i don't really need the watchdog but if there is a chance to have it i would preffer to :))) this time i made a controller for a machine that cleans the streets (gravel and dirt from roads) its used in the spring when the snow melts:) i made a board and everything but a couple of days ago i noticed that i have connected a hydraulic valve to pin 13 and i tottaly forgot that this is the led pin and it blinks when the mega starts up.. So i did'n know what to do and i had to turn to the forum for help :slight_smile:

ok i was doing some researching and it seems the bootloader problem was fixed with the release of the 1.0.4 IDE. You just have to update the bootloader with the 1.0.4 or above IDE and the problem is fixed :slight_smile: