[Mega 2560] external 5V power supply

Hey guys!

I want to use my Arduino 2560 in my RC E-Glider for logging data, etc. The receiver and the servos get their power from the 5V BEC of the ESC. This stable 5V should supply the Arduino board too. But "where" to connect the 5V wire?
The "5V" pin is afaik output only and the "Vin" pin must get 7-12V.

I hope someone can help me!

The "5V" pin is just that - 5V. It can be input or output.

Oh, cool!
Thanks al lot!

CrossRoads:

As far as I know 5V is not enough to run the Mega256 properly (recommended input voltage is 7-12V).

If I understand it right, BlazeX thinks he can power the Arduino with this 5V too, I think that's not good.

robitabu:

CrossRoads:

As far as I know 5V is not enough to run the Mega256 properly (recommended input voltage is 7-12V).

If I understand it right, BlazeX thinks he can power the Arduino with this 5V too, I think that's not good.

Actually he is correct. The external power connector on an arduino goes only to the input of the on=board +5vdc regulator. The regulator's output then powers everything required on the board. So applying a +5vdc to the shield +5vdc pin will power everything required on the arduino board.

Lefty

retrolefty:
So applying a +5vdc to the shield +5vdc pin will power everything required on the arduino board.

That's good to know. Thanks for the hint :slight_smile: