Mega 2560 Industrial melting on one PC USB but not another

I've purchased a number of these:

And I've found that when I plug them into my laptop USB the onboard regulator gets super hot instantly and melts off the board!

When I try it on my desktop, it does not overheat.

If I try another microcontroller board with the same cable on the original laptop, it does not overheat.

I'm more curious as to why my laptop would fry the regulator but not my pc. The fact that it does is less important - I can just flash using my PC for now.

Any ideas?