Mega 2560 not recognised

Hi, I have a few MEGA 2560s, some have a USB B socket and some have a micro USB socket.
The USB B ones all work fine and are recognised by my Mac and Windows computers.
The micro USB ones don't.

Google searches haven't revealed any solutions, although it did highlight one difference: I think it's the USB-serial chip and on the USB B versions, this is CH340G 205696B11, and the micro USB ones have a CH340G 205696A46 chip.

However, doing a google on those reveals NOTHING. Which is weird in itself, I reckon.

Anyway, I've tried multiple USB cables and don't think that's the issue.

It does seem to be some hardware difference between the USB B socketed arduinos (which have a blue PCB incidentally) and the Micro USB arduinos (which have black PCBs). All bought off AliExpress, but I've tried half a dozen of these Micro USB ones and can't get them to work at all.

TIA, Simon.

I suspect that your MicroUSB cables are charge only; I know that you mentioned that you tried different cables but they might all have been charge-only.

If you have a cellphone with a MicroUSB connection, you can test by connecting your phone to a PC; if the PC recognises the cellphone, that cable should also work with your Arduinos.

What happens in Windows device manager when you connect a board? Nothing would indicate a charge-only cable or a damaged board. Yellow exclamation marks or unknown devices would indicate a missing driver but that's unlikely if other boards with the CH340 work. For CH340, it should look similar to below (you can compare it with your other clones)

2 Likes

Thanks, and against my best judgement, I thought "Okay, I'll try one more micro USB cable, and IT WORKED! I must have a bunch of charge-only cables as this must have been the eighth one I tried. Still, result: Thank you very much indeed.

1 Like

Take all of your charge only cables and put a bread tie or a piece of velcro or even tape on them so you never mix them up again.