Mega 2560 & RAMPS 1.4 Programming

:( Good day all, I'm a newbie to 3D printing and frustrated not to be able to get any help from Prof GOOGLE. I have built a 3D printer based on the KIKAI Labs T125 model, 200mm x 200mm x 200mm build, Mega 2560 and RAMPS 1.4 hardware. That done, I tried to upload firmware (downloaded from GOOGLE) on the ARDUINO Mega 2560 board to start printing. To my best efforts, I'm about to get divorced as I have pulled about all my hair, out of frustration. I have uploaded Marlin firmware to the hardware, based on the ULTIMAKER, PLASTIBOT and MAKERGEAR models, but with no success. ( do I need to "Format" the chip, or will the next firmware replace the current upload?)

Enough said: Can someone PLEASE :o provide me with a download link for a complete (A to Z) instruction video or PDF download (for dummies) and links for the correct software packages to enable me to start off for the correct programming procedure; 200 x 200 x 200 build area, Kit consists of the following; Ramps 1.4 + A4988 + Mega2560 R3 +End stop + LCD12864 +MK2B for 3D Printer RepRap.

1XSainsmart RAMPS 1.4 1XSainsmart Mega 2560 R3 5XSainsmart A4988 driver 1XSainsmart LCD 12864 With Controller 1XSainsmart SD card breakout For ramps 1XSainsmart Cooler Fan for 3D ramps 6XSainsmart Mechanical Endstop with cable 1XSainsmart RAMPS 1.4 wiring cable 1XSainSmart Heatbed MK2b 5XNEMA 17 Stepper Motors Minebea Mill Robot RepRap Makerbot Prusa 3D Printer 1XUSB Cable

Kind regards, Hendrik

http://kikailabs.com.ar/faq-items/firmwares-linea-maker/ "Kikai Labs maintains its own version of Marlin with some specific modifications."

This Arduino Forum is primarily for people writing their own software for an Arduino.

The off-the-shelf software for 3D printing is very complex and you are unlikely to find anyone here with inside knowledge of it. I suggest you make enquiries on the RepRap Forum.

...R

Good day John and Robin,

Thanks and noted.............I'm using ARDUINO 1.6.5 firmware to upload the sketch....I believe I have uploaded the incorrect sketch, do I need to press the reset button to clear the current sketch, or do I upload the correct sketch which will overwrite the current installed sketch....or, any suggestions.. Hendrik

hkraft: do I need to press the reset button to clear the current sketch, or do I upload the correct sketch which will overwrite the current installed sketch.

Just upload a new sketch to overwrite the existing sketch.

It might be worth trying an older version of the IDE - perhaps 1.5.6 - as the Arduino folks are not bothered with backwards compatibility.

You can easily have multiple versions on your PC - the IDE is just a Java program.

...R

Good day John and Robin,

Thank you for the reply......and your advice came in extremely handy, as I have "re-programmed the mega 2560 and it works fine. I just wish there were a FULL doc or video tutorial available to assist a layman like me for setting up a full RepRap (Mega 2560 R3 and RAMPS 1.4) kit and a basic generic sketch for a 3D printer made available, to enable a "dummy" like me who have absolutely no experience on programming, to do a few tweaks to get the system up and running.....in South Africa we are way behind 3D technology, so, please be patient, even if "dumb" questions been asked....but, I have eventually figured it out.

Kind regards,

Hendrik

hkraft: I just wish there were a FULL doc or video tutorial available to assist a layman like me for setting up a full RepRap (Mega 2560 R3 and RAMPS 1.4) kit

I can see the value of that but it is really a matter for the developers of the 3D printing stuff and not for the Arduino Forum.

Have you looked at the RepRap Forum ?

...R

hello, I'm a college student studying engineering. I have been attempting to make a 3d printer since I joined. I have built and wired the printer and I am now ready to start coding. I don't have allot of experience in this field of work. so I was wondering if I could get some help from those who have had more experience than me.

The board I'm using is a 2560 mega with a RAMP shield on top of it and I'm using stepper motors run the axis x,y and z. I'm not using a heated bed currently but I'm looking into getting one.

any help will be much appreciated.

221b-1998: any help will be much appreciated.

A program for a 3D printer will be very complex. I suspect if you need to ask questions before you even start writing code then you really should use one of the off-the-shelf 3D printer programs.

If so, have a look at the RepRap Forum which specializes in 3D printing.

If you really do want to write the program yourself and you are starting with little or no programming knowledge then I reckon it will take you 6 months or more using every spare minute you can find and gallons of coffee. And that assumes you have a natural aptitude for programming.

...R Stepper Motor Basics Simple Stepper Code Planning and Implementing a Program

Here is a step by step

https://www.my-home-fab.de/en/documentations/reprap-firmware/installing-marlin-firmware-on-ramps-1.4