MEGA 2560 - Wellknow-problem with uploading

Hi,

i have an empty arduino, that is connected on the correct port with new driver and new arduino software.

I want to upload (for example a small testpogramm), but after around 90% of upload nothing happens. There are no !!! in the code.

Than this message is comming: avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

If i upload with shift+upload, there will appear this message: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)
So I installed new USBtiny driver.
I read the troubleshooting guide and i have done the Loop-Back Test.
Nothing chanced.

So i tested my pc-settings with an other Mega and everything was fine.

Do anybody can give me an advise for a chance to bring my arduino back to life ,-(.
It´s a cheap one from von china, but it has done good works.

Thx a lot!

The board is a clone? Doesn't sound like it has a bootloader installed. What do you have for an AVR programmer? A USBtiny? Connected to your ICSP header?

I want to upload (for example a small testpogramm), but after around 90% of upload nothing happens. There are no !!! in the code.

Unfortunate it doesn't have to be just in the form of three !!! ascii characters in some string constant statement to hang up in the mega 1280/2650 bootloader's useless monitor mode bug/feature. Any code or data that is uploading that contains three consecutive 0x21 byte values will do the same thing. However trying to determine if the hex file contains that or not is probably a hard thing to determine other then manually reading it.

Probably the best route is to reburn the bootloader with a newer version that fixes that bug/feature and try again. That would also fix the watch dog timer problem with the original mega bootloader.

Lefty

If i upload with shift+upload,

Shift+upload means "upload using device programmer" in any version of Arduino since 1.0 It USED to mean "upload in verbose mode", which was useful for debugging. Beware any tutorial that suggests this for figuring out why your upload doesn't work. (The modern equivalent is to enable verbose upload in the "preferences" dialog.)

Probably the best route is to reburn the bootloader with a newer version that fixes that bug/feature and try again. That would also fix the watch dog timer problem with the original mega bootloader.

i have done this. no change ;-(

Can you set "Show verbose output during upload" in the Preferences dialog, then upload one more time (not shift-upload, for the reasons mentioned by Lefty Westfw). You should get a detailed error log that you can paste here.

Which version did you use ? I read that the new version 1.0.4 (or 1.5.2) has some improvements in the Arduino Mega 2560 bootloader.

the new version … has some improvements in the Arduino Mega 2560 bootloader.

It doesn’t matter; you have to take “special steps” to get the bootloader onto your board, even if it is “fixed.”

I tested the new 1.5.2 Software. Same problem:

That is the logfile:

Binary sketch size: 666 bytes (of a 258.048 byte maximum) - 0% used S:\Users\M. Jakob\Desktop\arduino-1.5.2/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CS:\Users\M. Jakob\Desktop\arduino-1.5.2/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -q -q -patmega2560 -cwiring -PCOM3 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:S:\Users\MAD10~1.JAK\AppData\Local\Temp\build3782061699024795647.tmp/sketch_mar13a.cpp.hex:i avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

Lolly:

i have done this. no change ;-(

Just to be sure, how did you reburn the bootloader? As Westfw mentioned, there are "special steps" involved. If you just tried to use Tools - Burn bootloader from the Arduino IDE, without a programmer between your PC and the "bad" Arduino, you could not get what you wanted. Sorry for the stupid question: I assume that the loopback test did not work, or did it?

What are the "special steps"?

I used an other mega, connecting it with my old one and worked with the arduino instruction http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

Can you burn with Mega a other Mega?

The loopback test did not work ;-)

The loopback test did not work ;-)

Well if the loopback test fails then burning a new bootloader to the 2560 chip is not going to get you a functional board running again. Fix the loopback problem first, then determine if you have a bootloader problem or not.

Lefty

Lolly: What are the "special steps"?

I used an other mega, connecting it with my old one and worked with the arduino instruction http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

Can you burn with Mega a other Mega?

Yes. I was referring to the need to have a programmer connected according to the instructions, as you actually did. Just wanted to be sure, really.

Hi, i am so *********angry. My second original Arduino Board is destroyed. Same bug like above. and i am not able to upload.

Binäre Sketchgröße: 1.632 Bytes (von einem Maximum von 258.048 Bytes) S:\Users\M. Jakob\Dropbox\Arduino Projekt (2)\SOFTWARE\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CS:\Users\M. Jakob\Dropbox\Arduino Projekt (2)\SOFTWARE\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega2560 -cwiring -P\.\COM12 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:S:\Users\MAD10~1.JAK\AppData\Local\Temp\build4507006966004123632.tmp\Blink.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 19:38:36 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/ Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "S:\Users\M. Jakob\Dropbox\Arduino Projekt (2)\SOFTWARE\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : \.\COM12 Using Programmer : wiring Overriding Baud Rate : 115200 avrdude: wiring_open(): releasing DTR/RTS avrdude: wiring_open(): asserting DTR/RTS avrdude: Send: . [1b] . [01] . [00] . [01] . [0e] . [01] . [14] avrdude: Recv: avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: Send: . [1b] . [01] . [00] . [01] . [0e] . [01] . [14] avrdude: Recv: avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: Send: . [1b] . [01] . [00] . [01] . [0e] . [01] . [14] avrdude: Recv: avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: Send: . [1b] . [01] . [00] . [01] . [0e] . [01] . [14] avrdude: Recv: avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: Send: . [1b] . [01] . [00] . [01] . [0e] . [01] . [14] avrdude: Recv: avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: Send: . [1b] . [01] . [00] . [01] . [0e] . [01] . [14] avrdude: Recv: avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

avrdude done. Thank you.

I worked with 12 V. Perhaps i destroyed some elements on the board?

I worked with 12 V. Perhaps i destroyed some elements on the board?

Perhaps, but only an electrical drawing of what you built can shed any light on that possibility.

Lefty

You might take a look here, especially at reply #15.

Good luck! /dev