Mega "Clone"

Here is some guy in china selling Arduino Mega clones, and tried to make it look like the real thing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Arduino-Mega-with-ATmega-1280_W0QQitemZ280424525989QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414a9ab0a5
Heads up!

It looks real but the price sure is uncommon. Wonder If the manufacture knows the definition of quality or else someone might be sorry.

Not sure about that seller, only a few feedbacks so I would look for another seller, there are several asian sellers on E-bay selling Mega clones. Several members here have purchaced asian mega clones and nothing bad has been said so far.

I went with a Seeeduino Mega, not a true clone as it has a different footprint, extra features, etc.

Lefty

What are these extra features you speak of?

Easier to have you read them then to retype them:

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/seeeduino-mega-fully-assembled-p-438.html?zenid=9f6118c193cee9f8b7337d4df91a2eca

I like the manual switchs to control power source and if auto-reset is on or off the best. The extra 16 digital pins would be better if the Arduino IDE would support them directly, put direct port access statements does work with them and is faster anyway.

Lefty

Thanks

that’s a “fake” , I’ve emailed ebay.

m

I went with this one:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arduino-Mega-Clone-100-Arduino-Mega-Compatible_W0QQitemZ320442596467QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item4a9bddfc73

which is a “Arduino Mega Clone(100% Arduino Mega Compatible)” , so they are no tricking anyone.

Its pretty common on Ebay to sell clone Arduinos as the real thing or at least not mentioning that they are clones or compatibles. I have a ‘Arduino Duemilanove’ from an Hong Kong vendor that isn’t the pukka article. It was obviously too cheap to be real, but it works as well as a real one (It has brighter LEDs and a red reset switch which I like) so I’m not griping. With the open source nature of Arduino, its always going to be a grey area IMO.

Arduino cough Duemilanove :

Huh. I hadn’t looked at the eBay Arduino offerings recently. I guess it’s a measure of success when random items start getting advertised as “usable with arduino.” Yes sir, get your arduino compatible resistors right here!

What I don’t understand is: If it’s OK to make derivative and/or compatible hardware, why do people feel compelled to counterfeit the boards? That’s just lame. All they have to do is call it something else and make it a little different. Unless the counterfeit manufacturer is the one who is actually making the boards for tinker.it, they had to spend time copying the design. They could have made their own design in about the same amount of time. If it IS the the same manufacturer and they are ‘illegally’ producing the boards for their own benefit, then tinker.it needs to have some words with their overseas suppliers.

DISCLAIMER: I do not know who makes the real Arduino boards. My statements above are for illustrative purposes only.

I think the design is open source so making an exact clone is not the problem. Their legal error is calling it an Arduino Mega (trademarked name), having made in Italy printed on the board, etc.

I think some of the first E-baqy mega cloners just used the Arduino board photo in their postings. Later I saw one looked like they photo-shopped ‘made in China’ over the made in Italy portion. I think if they just named it something else (Megauino?) and used their own photos there wouldn’t be much to complain about.

Open sourcing is suppose to encourage cloning of the design and no doubt helps keep the prices competitive. I personally like the designs that are not exact copies but rather add features or different footprint or otherwise ‘improve’ the design.

Lefty

why do people feel compelled to counterfeit the boards?

Marketing. A “brand name” or trademark like “Arduino” has a fair amount of value to it. Witness the number of people who buy “Bayer Asprin” or “Tylenol” instead of much lower priced and chemically identical generic versions. And are you going to buy the can of “Coke”, or the “Cola Beverage” ?

That’s just lame. All they have to do is call it something else and make it a little different.

That would be nice, eh. Sort of like the Freeduino and Seeeduino. The supposition that copiers will “add value” is somewhat at the core of “open source” (and one the reasons why licenses tend to be viral.) But I think you overestimate the number of people who are capable of “making it a little different.”

they had to spend time copying the design.

Probably not. I’m pretty sure that I could find someone who would manufacture me finished arduino boards given nothing but the published Eagle files. Getting them to take off the “Arduino” name and put on “WestfWDuino” would probably cost more (not that it SHOULD, given that the hardest part will probably be coming up with the parts list for populating the board, which will already require some Eagle expertise beyond just feeding them to a PCB machine.)

Not all of the bumps in this “open source” business are ironed out yet.

Note also that there are plenty of products that are LESS “open-source” than Arduino that are also widely cloned, sometimes without saying so. (PICKit 2 is an example. Though Microchip has lawyers, and most of them seem to be labeled on eBay as “PICKit 2 clone”)