Mega, Due, or Pi for this application

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions on which hardware solution will be the best for my project.

It has 2 IMU sensors (3 axis gyroscope, 3 axis accelerometer, 3 axis magnetometer) transmitting 92 bytes per cycle. This information is fed in over an RS485 connection between 1-20 times per second.

At the end of the connection the information must be preprocessed, saved to an SD card, sent over GSM to a cell tower, and the device must act as master to the sensor slaves.

What would be the best way to do this? Mega, Due, Pi or another option I haven't thought of?

I'm thinking about using a Mega but I don't know if it is fast enough for all these tasks.

You need ONE processor not two which gets rid of RS485. After that a Uno should be more than you need.

Mark

I should probably elaborate a bit more. The sensors are SPI connected to Uno's which scale the data and serial communicate this over RS485 to a station on the surface. There is quite a distance between the sensor slaves and master.

Your not making any sense - post a drawing.

Mark

Submarine?

forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=339611

You are not explaining well. Theres a master and slaves? So there would be more processors? If I understood well, Id use a mega as sensor slave and a Uno as a master.

mart256:
Id use a mega as sensor slave and a Uno as a master.

Have you not got that back-to-front ?

...R

Robin, I think mega is better suited for handling those sensors at the same time because it has more sram and flash, besides it needs the rs485 code.
The Uno, in the other hand, only needs to read data from rs485, thats why I though mega as a master would be overkill.

mart256:
The Uno, in the other hand, only needs to read data from rs485, thats why I though mega as a master would be overkill.

I was thinking of the multiple serial ports making a Mega more suitable as a master. Maybe there should be Megas all the way down.

...R

Yep, all megas too.

I was thinking one Uno for the whole thing

Mark