Mega1280 versus Mega2560 (I received wrong product)

Yesterday in a retail store I purchased an Arduino Mega 2560. This morning I discovered that the packaging actually contains an Arduino Mega (1280). I don't actually need the extra flash, and it's a long drive to exchange/return this thing, so I'm wondering ....

What known issues are there with the Arduino 1280 that are fixed in the Arduino 2560 (R3)?

Thanks,

zoidicus:
Yesterday in a retail store I purchased an Arduino Mega 2560. This morning I discovered that the packaging actually contains an Arduino Mega (1280). I don't actually need the extra flash, and it's a long drive to exchange/return this thing, so I'm wondering ....

What known issues are there with the Arduino 1280 that are fixed in the Arduino 2560 (R3)?

Thanks,

No, the 1280 mega board works fine, just has less memory and uses the older FTDI USB serial converter chip which works just fine. The current arduino IDE still supports this board in it's board selection menu.

Lefty

Thanks for the quick reply. What about debugging? I believe that I have to cut the RESET-EN trace to use debugwire on the Mega (1280). Is the same true of the 2560 variations?

You can compare their schematics here

and here

and work that out.

zoidicus:
Thanks for the quick reply. What about debugging? I believe that I have to cut the RESET-EN trace to use debugwire on the Mega (1280). Is the same true of the 2560 variations?

I have no knowledge about debugwire, it's not something directly supported by the arduino IDE I think? Cutting reset-en will however result in the lose of the auto-reset function triggered by the IDE to perform a upload.

Lefty

Acutally, it turns out that debugging on the 1280 (unlike the 328) requires JTAG, not debugwire. sigh