Mega168 flavours - what's the difference?

Browsing the Rapid website here

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Integrated-Circuits/Atmel-Microcontrollers/ATmega-8-bit-AVR-Microcontrollers/77086

they seem to have several 28 pin DIP versions of the 168 listed:
ATMEGA168V-10PU 8BIT MICRO 16K
ATMEGA168-20PU 8-BIT MICRO 16K
ATMEGA168P-20PU 8 BIT MICRO 1K

The first 2 are nearly half the price of the last one… Does anyone know what the V/P & PU signify. Also the last one says 1K…?

The datasheet for the last one seems to actually point to the 164 so that’s not much help.

Cheers

Atmel Application Note AVR512 deals with migration from the 168 to the 168P. It looks like the major difference concerns the ‘Low-frequency Crystal/Timer/Counter Oscillator’.

Buried near the end of the ATmega168 datasheet (section 32.3) is a chart from which you can determine that the 168V will function at a lower voltage than the plain 168.

The 10 and 20 before the PU refer to the maximum clock speed. You get the lower voltage capability at the expense of chip speed.

Atmel doc0538 deals with the part number code. Here we find that the P suffix means a Plastic DIP and the U suffix means uBGA (whatever that is…).

I can’t help you with the 16K vs the 1K but perhaps someone else might.

You want the middle one, ATMEGA160-20PU, for your Arduino.

Don

I think the 16K versus 1K is a misprint. In the datasheet that the link points to how
much flash memory is listed?

(* jcl *)

Don - thanks fo the info!

JCL - unfortunately the datasheet linked to is the wrong one - it’s for the 164

Cheers

That last one is a misprint.

The 164/324/644 are typically twice as expensive as the 168/328 devices.
Forty pin package, twelve more I/O’s, 2 more ADC channels and 2uarts
(for the P versions).

(* jcl *)