MEGA2560 being phased out?

I was browsing around Adafruit, and i spotted that they have the MEGA2560 listed as "Discontinued"!?!
:o :o :o :o :o :o
This is my primary platform for my larger projects!

~Travis

It has been sold out in the Arduino Store every time I've checked for quite a while now. It's hard for me to believe Arduino would retire one of their most popular boards. The only reason I could see for doing that is if the ATmega2560 had been discontinued but I'm sure we would have heard about that. Certainly the cheap Chinese clones are having an impact on their sales but I'm sure there are still plenty of people who don't mind paying a little extra for the original.

Three times more

Yeah, but when you consider how much you can learn by playing around with one of these boards it's still a small price to pay. For a beginner there is a high value to getting something that will just work and will have good support if there is a problem. This is especially the case if you're trying to get a young person with a short attention span and a lot of competing interests into electronics. Once you're more experienced and are permanently building the boards into projects it's probably worth investigating ways to save money on them but hopefully those users will see the benefits to supporting the Arduino organization in some way, which could include spending some extra money on an official board.

If the clones are hurting sales they sure could consider some volume pricing. I just bought 15 clones for under $200. They would have been almost $700 from adafruit.

Maybe they're coming out with a new model.
The distributor's are still selling the uC as Active parts:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/integrated-circuits-ics/embedded-microcontrollers/685?k=atmega2560&k=&pkeyword=atmega2560&pv16=11938&FV=ffe002ad%2C1f140000&mnonly=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25
The price is coming down, I recall they were like $17 in small quantity, now they're $12.44, and $10.44 in 100-lots and above.

If clone boards are available to the Arduino design is there any need for Arduino to make boards?

There are other examples where designs are in the public domain but the designer does not (and maybe never did) make boards. The Easydriver and RepRap boards spring to mind.

The question of relying on future availablity of boards came up in this other Thread recently

...R

travis_farmer:
maybe it is just due to me being resistant to big changes, but it seems like i just get comfortable with something, when it drops out.

That's happened to me way too often with the supplies I use in my business, usually with no advance warning. I've gotten into the habit of trying to buy a lifetime supply of anything I rely on that has any possibility of not being available in the future.

Robin2:
If clone boards are available to the Arduino design is there any need for Arduino to make boards?

If they stop selling boards how are they going to pay the developers to work on the IDE, hardware packages, and libraries?

travis_farmer:
or this forum!?!?! :o :o :o :o

I'm involved with another forum for a different open source software project. A while back the guy running the project decided to abandon it completely and there was a big shakeup with the community thinking we would have to raise enough donations to keep the forum going. It turned out that the forum had enough traffic that by just adding one small Google AdSense ad all costs were covered and it actually makes a surplus of income. It's nice that the Arduino forum doesn't have ads but you could also consider the whole arduino.cc website to be an ad for their products. Not to mention that the forum members provide free tech support for those products. So even though the Arduino company probably does spend quite a bit of money to run this forum, the financial viability of it doesn't concern me too much.

if i had millions ($$$), i would have you make up a bunch of Mini2560, and 2560 DIP.

If I thought they’d sell more, I’d have a hundred assembled and just sell them.
The 2560 is difficult for us to hand assemble tho.
It’s a lot of material to buy and then completed product to sit on for long duration, all while cheap offshore boards are available for a lot less due to higher production lots, lower labor cost, and cheaper shipping.

Plus, the US has the benefit of one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world.

pert:
If they stop selling boards how are they going to pay the developers to work on the IDE, hardware packages, and libraries?

That opens up a huge range of other issues.

For example if they are losing money on the Mega what you have said would be a reason to drop it.

Then there is the question whether any further non-voluntary development is actually useful to anyone. I m still happily using IDE 1.6.3.

There is certainly no evidence of anyone taking a blind bit of notice of requests for improvements to the Forum software that would actually be useful to the Forum users. The development team don't even bother to participate in the Forum.

...R

start charging for the IDE.

ew.

'lower labor cost,'

These things are mostly made using machines.

I am kinda tired of this labor cost argument.

When companyies don’t make 600%+ markup they drop the product line.

Don’t get me started on companies that do shipping, UPS, DHL, FEDEX etc.

@travis too much cheese.

@larry environmental, regulatory, and litigation mitigation are probably more major factors than labor, necessarily

larryd:
'lower labor cost,'

These things are mostly made using machines.

I am kinda tired of this labor cost argument.

When companyies don’t make 600%+ markup they drop the product line.

Don’t get me started on companies that do shipping, UPS, DHL, FEDEX etc.

Happy ThanksGiving you US guys.
The automation that has developed in China etc is incredible.
We had a production run of a product we developed, we assemble in house on demand because some customization is required.
But the internal wiring consists of fixed lengths of wire with two different connectors on each end.
There were 5 different wire assemblies, colours and length, and the connectors were a pain to hand assemble.
We got 200 of each, a low quantity by most standards, with the supplier providing the hardware, ordered and delivered in 7 working days, at a cost we could not justify even with a work experience slave , err student doing the job.
We sent a CAD file and wire and connector data.
Just a efficient as the PCB manufacturers.
We now get phonecalls from them every 3 to 6 months spruiking for orders.
Tom... :slight_smile:

Qdeathstar:

I don’t think that would be possible without a complete rewrite since it is all open source. They can charge for the download or to sell CDs with the IDE on them but anyone else could just set up a torrent so I doubt many people would pay. I think it would be less profitable than the current request for donations. That even fools some people into thinking they have to pay to download because the “Just Download” button is less prominent. If they went closed source you would see an immediate fork and most of the contributors would abandon Arduino and work on the open fork instead. I know I wouldn’t have gotten involved with Arduino if it wasn’t all based on open source. There are other options.

They did make as much of the Arduino Web Editor as they could closed source and they’re even charging $0.99/mo for the Chrome app version. But that means most of the work on the project has to be done by paid employees. I was offered to be a tester but I would rather spend my time working on open source projects so I didn’t do it. I don’t necessarily fault them for the decision, I’m sure there were good reasons.

Qdeathstar:

The minute you do that, like in industry, you have provide a much higher level of back up service, to justify the cost.
ie, Professional Support.
Tom... :slight_smile: