Mega2560 Error: ...relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL ...

I am using a Mega2560 with ERW 1.0.1f. My sketch is approx 51k, SRAM used approx.3.5k. In order to save SRAM I am using extensively sprintf_P and Serial.print(F(. It seems that my sketch has now grown to a size that the compiler/linker cannot longer handle it. Whenever I add code, I get the following error:

c:/program files (x86)/arduino/arduino erw 1.0.1f/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.3/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o: In function __vector_default': (.vectors+0x88): relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL against symbol__vector_34' defined in .text section in c:/program files (x86)/arduino/arduino erw 1.0.1f/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.3/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o

In order to work around this error I am converting sprintf_P into sprintf and Serial.print(F( in ordinary Serial.print(). The downside is that my SRAM usage is growing. Furthermore this work-around isn't very successful in the long term as I will long have run out of SRAM before I have used up a more significant share of the program memory.

I have seen similar error messages reported with the other boards. I have also seen the recommendation to use the latest WINAVR /avrdude.conf (I tried this and it made no difference)

Does somebody know how I can overcome this restriction? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Do you have the same problem using the standard IDE?

There is no difference between using the standard IDE and the "enhanced". In actual fact, but I might not have observed that correctly, the standard IDE started to show this error a little earlier (meaning when my sketch was slightly smaller. In other words, when the error first appeared and I realised that replacing PSTR based commands into SRAM based onces, I checked with the normal IDE. The error appeared- and I think it did even with the version I had just "repaired" to work with the enhanced version. In any case, the error is with both.

Does this help... http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=108524.0

Thanks for this reference. I will try it and report back…

I have the Same problem. It occurs if I make some innocent modifications in my code, for example if I replace some text like...

prog_char PROGMEM Cmd_073[]="HTTPServerPort";

..in..

prog_char PROGMEM Cmd_073[]="PortInput";

The following error occures:

c:/program files (x86)/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o: In function __vector_default': (.vectors+0x7c): relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL against symbol__vector_31' defined in .text section in c:/program files (x86)/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o

My code is only 77Kbyte. Arduino version=1.0.1, Windows-7, Board=ATMega2560

Paul_Tonkes: I have the Same problem. It occurs if I make some innocent modifications in my code, for example if I replace some text like...

prog_char PROGMEM Cmd_073[]="HTTPServerPort";

..in..

prog_char PROGMEM Cmd_073[]="PortInput";

The following error occures:

c:/program files (x86)/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o: In function __vector_default': (.vectors+0x7c): relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL against symbol__vector_31' defined in .text section in c:/program files (x86)/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o

My code is only 77Kbyte. Arduino version=1.0.1, Windows-7, Board=ATMega2560

This was similar to the problem/solution I found. Once I located the offending line, I changed the length of the string and it compiled. (note: I hate this type of fix!)

Build your own IDE with removed lines:

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/blob/ide-1.5.x/app/src/processing/app/debug/Compiler.java

if (prefs.get("build.mcu").equals("atmega2560"))
      optRelax = ",--relax";

This solved this problem:

c:/users/gregor/desktop/arduino/arduino-1.5.4-r2-windows/arduino-1.5.4/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o: In function `__vector_default':
(.vectors+0x28): relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL against symbol `__vector_10' defined in .text section in c:/users/gregor/desktop/arduino/arduino-1.5.4-r2-windows/arduino-1.5.4/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o

But the best solution is:
Add to global area:

#include <avr/pgmspace.h>
const char pad[500] PROGMEM = { 0 };

and add this to the fist line of setup:

pad[0];

See: