Melted probe . How many AMPS?

Forgot hoe to do online picture so I'll do it attach way. My meter shorted measuring vac 200 on an outlet. Arc blew probe out of socket. I'm thinking the breaker should of blown, considing damage.

Here is link to pics.. don't feel like resampling image on phone.. thank u much

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nCqtpbDh43HWHfVa6

"My meter shorted measuring vac 200 on an outlet. Arc blew probe out of socket. I'm thinking the breaker should of blown, considing damage."

Nature telling you something.

You can't leave the probs in the current measuring connections while trying to measure voltage.

Paul

How many amps? All of them!

You can't leave the probs in the current measuring connections while trying to measure voltage.

Good deduction, considering the OP didn't mention it was in the current measuring mode.

raschemmel: Good deduction, considering the OP didn't mention it was in the current measuring mode.

It's in line with some of his other posts!

Paul

Must be a different thread because it isn't in this one.

The one with the list of labels he wanted us to comment on.

Ergo the OP is DMM challenged ?

Too bad you didn't take a video of the fireworks. Looks like it must have been pretty spectacular!

From what you wrote... you were measuring the voltage on a mains device and the probes touched causing a short.

Circuit breakers are slow devices. They are meant to protect against high current sustained overloads. In your case the entire length of the time the mains were shorted is likely to be in the millisecond range, not enough to trip a breaker.

I weld thermocouples by stripping and twisting the bare wire leaving an inch of bare wire at the end of the twist. I connect these bare wires to 120 Vac using a simple plug. Never tripped a breaker.

Having said that, you should probably put some shrink tubing on your probes so only the very tips are exposed.

I weld thermocouples by stripping and twisting the bare wire leaving an inch of bare wire at the end of the twist. I connect these bare wires to 120 Vac using a simple plug. Never tripped a breaker.

Haven't tried that method yet. I'll try it out. I have tried welding using a 20V/50A DC p.s. set at 9V/10A and it has worked only marginally. We're going to try it with Argon gas from a welder to see if that helps. K-type ?

For thermocouples, just twist and solder. Herb

We're using them ina turbine at 1000+ deg C

Okay, solder is not good! You need a spotwelder. Herb

I’ve used a propane/oxygen torch to weld thermocouples. I’m not sure if you need that much heat, it’s just what I have handy.

Thanks