MEMS sensor for deformation detection

Hi everyone! I'm looking for an MEMS sensor to apply at a sheet metal (cantilever) to detect the wind speed. I need of a MEMS sensor to apply near the fixing point of the sheet metal. Could you provide me any suggestion about a MEMS t buy, readable with Arduino ?

Thanks a lot !

Giorgio

It sounds like you need a strain gauge. That is more complex than a MEMS sensor.

Look for tutorials using the HX711 strain gauge amplifier chip.

Thanks MorganS ! I have use the MEMS since the degree of preciosion is higher! my cantilever is really little ! :)

You need to explain your sheet metal cantilever wind speed detector more carefully, so we can understand what you are trying to do exactly. What is this "fixing point" - a hinge perhaps? I think a diagram might be useful.

Sure! I mean as "fixing point" a beam fixed to a side. I don't know to attach a scketch of the system... :(

the flap is lenght about 10-15mm then a higher precision respect a resistor strain gauge is required.

thanks

don't know to attach a scketch of the system

Image posting guide. See also "How to use this forum".

ok… clear !

1.png

Materials? dimensions? stiffness? Expected force?

Material: Steel, Beam Dimension: 10 mm x 4 mm x 0.3 mm Expected force: 0,3-0.4 N

The stiffness is already fixed by the geometry and material.

Thanks MarkT for your interest !

What wind speed do you expect to exert 0.4 N on a 10 mm x 4 mm vane?

I would not want to be inside a building, or even in the general area under those conditions.

Ok, I finally got the idea of the question.

You´re trying to achieve is actually very hard, it´s like a BME 280, and very easy to lose calibration.

What you need is a piezoresistor.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/piezoresistor "The piezoresistor is placed on the surface of the support beam or membrane. The location of the resistor is important to ensure the maximum stress and thus the maximum output"

Now, the calculations are way too much effort, so, it's up to you.

Hi All, yes, it's a challenge ! for this reason I need of a MEMS to get the performance required.

I know that MEMS DETF is already available in the market but I don't know where I could buy...

I started this discussion to get some suggestion of a link useful to buy it

thanks

I need of a MEMS to get the performance required

Probably not. Rethink the entire approach.

Giorgio_Paolo_81: Material: Steel, Beam Dimension: 10 mm x 4 mm x 0.3 mm Expected force: 0,3-0.4 N

The stiffness is already fixed by the geometry and material.

Thanks MarkT for your interest !

Right, simplifying by assuming the force acts at the edge only, the cantilever beam equation says the deflection will be.

2nd moment of area of your "beam", I, assuming 10mm is the length, is 9e-15 m^4 (1/12 x W x T*3) Youngs modulus of steel is E = 2.1e11 Pa

Cantilever deflection = F L^3 / (3 E I) = 0.4 x 0.01^3 / (3 * 2.1e11 * 9e-15) = 70µm

Which suggests enough bending for a strain-gauge to work with. Thinner steel would be better of course.