Menu control

Hi guys! I'm currently working on my master thesis and I'm looking for examples of controlling the menu on my Arduino. It's quite simple menu (up, down and choose), that shows on 16x2 LCD screen. I chose to go with an encoder with button but I need to present some other solutions. I only came up with 3 buttons (up, down and choose). I'm really looking forward to your answers, and I'm sorry if the title is misleading, I had no other idea how to name my problem! :slight_smile: Thanks.

How about:

• First the obvious: 3 push buttons.
  • A SPDT toggle switch with ON-ON action, and a push button.
  • A three position switch with the following action: Momentary-Open-Momentary. Such a switch rests in the vertical [Open] position, and has two freedoms of movement that, each, are momentary [let us know if you don't know what that means]. Plus a push button.
  • This one's probably overkill, but how about a track pad: Capacitive Trackpad/Touchpad - Microcontroller-Friendly PS/2 : ID 837 : $27.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits Something like: Swipe Up/Swipe Down, and button press for "Choose"
  • Some Capacitive Touch Switch/Buttons -- like: Capacitive Touch Switch/Button - these little guys are very easy to use, and work great. They can behave like a toggle switch, or a Momentary Button, with either polarity.
  • Three light sensors [Photo Transistor, Photo Resistor, Solar Cell, etc.], and either a flashlight, or a laser pointer.
  • Three Hal Effect sensors, and a magnet.
  • Three light sensors that you pass your hand over to activate.
  • A microphone, and some sort of frequency filtering such that whistled tones are decoded in to Up/Down/Chose. Or, perhaps tones played on some sort of musical instrument, like a flute. The frequency filtering could be achieved with PLL [phase Locked Loops] or tone decoders [like used with DTMF], notch filters, some sort of digital filtering, some sort of mechanical resonator...
  • A set of three pipes, each with pressure sensors, so when you blow on them, a signal is produced that can be interpreted as Up/Down/Choose.
  • Voice Recognition.
  • A trained mouse -- "Lenny, UP!" Then Lenny throws the switch, and/or pushes the button.
  • A video camera with gesture detection hardware/software that reads hand positions for your three states.
  • A SuperSoaker and three hanging moisture detectors.
  • This one is a little harder to explain -- it's all in the timing: involving 3 LEDs and a push button. The LEDs are labeled Up, Down & Chose. Only one is lit at a time, and each takes it's turn. Pressing the button when a particular LED is lit, sets that state. So, if the button is pressed when the Up LED is lit, then the GUI registers a pending Up. If Down is lit, then a pending Down. If Choose is lit, then the GUI changes "pending" to "Chosen". This could also be done with a stepper motor turning a pointer, clock style, over three regions, Up, Down and Choose.
  • A joystick and software that interprets one of three directions, each 120° apart, as Up, Down & Choose.
  • Using that Track Pad, in #4, and some sort of simple character recognition software, such that a "D" drawn on the pad triggers "Down", a "U" triggers "Up" and a "C" triggers "Choose" -- perhaps the three character paths are present as a graphic over the pad, to improve consistency. It could also be something like "U" "D" and a button press for Choose.

ReverseEMF:

• A trained mouse -- "Lenny, UP!" Then Lenny throws the switch, and/or pushes the button.
    [/list]

i have a Loni, but she's quite stubborn - do you have any tips for Rodential Programming ? :stuck_out_tongue:

meanwhile, i'll throw in some suggestions for the OP - a gesture sensor, or "just" using accelerometers.

BabyGeezer:
i have a Loni, but she’s quite stubborn - do you have any tips for Rodential Programming ? :stuck_out_tongue:

meanwhile, i’ll throw in some suggestions for the OP - a gesture sensor, or “just” using accelerometers.

Accelerators! Nice!!

Rodential Programming brings to mind that Monty Python Ken Ewing and his Musical Mice sketch – ANYTHING but that!!