menu for beginers

Hi, I an fairly new to arduino and am looking for a good library for creating menus. When I went looking for a menu I was overwhelmed by the multitude of choices. I was wondering what library I should use that will be both easy for a beginner to figure out but still have plenty of power for creating a decent sized menu. Thank you in advance.

Perhaps you'd get more targeted replies if you say what input and output devices
you are comtemplating using?

dr_bigben:
Hi, I an fairly new to arduino and am looking for a good library for creating menus. When I went looking for a menu I was overwhelmed by the multitude of choices. I was wondering what library I should use that will be both easy for a beginner to figure out but still have plenty of power for creating a decent sized menu. Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately, you are just going to have to narrow your search since a MENU is implemented generally for a specific LCD device... 2 line, 4 line, GLCD, etc.

Ray

I would like to have my menu be able to output to a 2x16 lcd and also a rgb led matrix. The inputs would be received from 5 buttons. I appreciate and suggestions on what library to use to help narrow my search.

dr_bigben:
I would like to have my menu be able to output to a 2x16 lcd and also a rgb led matrix. The inputs would be received from 5 buttons. I appreciate and suggestions on what library to use to help narrow my search.

For the 2x16 Hitachi-ish LCD, this may be of interest.

The larger character LCD: maybe

For GLCD, well you can google for your specific display, but here is an example.

The forum does not work too well when the Op does not provide very specific information - say GLCD model, pixel count, link to model + specs. All these things you can Google as well as I.

Ray

Thank you I was just wondering if their was on library that was better then the others

dr_bigben:
Thank you I was just wondering if their was on library that was better then the others

... which would imply that the member that responded would need to be familiar with multiple LCD and GLCD devices. In my case, I am familiar with the Hitachi LCD 2x16 or 4x16 and a couple of GLCD: The little Nokia B/W and the more advanced RGB color ILI934x. However, I generally do NOT believe in a menu system as a library since the general-purpose of a library often makes them inefficient: read this as code bloat!

Personally, most uC projects do not require a menu. Rather, I use an Input Pin to initialize routines inside the code and then write to EEPROM the value which is used afterward for the default. You can have a look at this project to see how I do it.

In the above link, the Nokia screen needs to have the correct contrast stored - these cheap displays are notorious for variations between each one. Also, it is necessary to have the working WPM set-up and that is read from eeprom, too, just like the screen contrast. No specific menu is provided, but the user is prompted for the values dynamically and then these are written to EEPROM.

In this project, there is a need to operate in receive-only mode (simplex) and in send-receive mode (duplex.) This is managed by using one of the front-panel buttons to trip that logic - the results are NOT stored. Also, the speed of 9600 or 4800 are selected, again the results are not stored.

Ray

Thanks for the input. I have found some code that is not a library but will work good as the foundation of the menu like function that I need. Here it is in the link below.