MG90D Servo control with Ardiuno UNO

What external power source or capacitor should I use for 4 MG90D TowerPro servos and a joystick that uses 5v? Here are the product sources if you are curious Micro Servo link: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1143 Joystick link:https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Controller-JoyStick-Breakout-Arduino/dp/B00P7QBGD2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=joystick+arduino&qid=1549729278&refinements=p_89%3AHiLetgo&rnid=2528832011&s=gateway&sr=8-1 Thanks! :)

Any power supply or battery that can supply 5V at around 3A or more. NiMH battery, 5V mobile power pack, Lipo battery with DC-DC converter or any of many different 5V power supplies, the choices are endless.

Steve

Do you know any options for using capacitors? (I am more lenient to this way because it seems to be the cheapest way and can be but directly onto the breadboard)

Lots of Thanks! Matt

mat137247: Do you know any options for using capacitors?

Do you mean to use a capacitor as a power source? Assuming that works, you'll still surely need a battery or mains to dc power supply to re-charge the cap every-now-and-then?

mat137247: can be but directly onto the breadboard)

But you can't have huge currents in a breadboard anyway; you need to wire that power up properly.

mat137247: Do you know any options for using capacitors? (I am more lenient to this way because it seems to be the cheapest way and can be but directly onto the breadboard)

No. Unless you have a really big (heavy, expensive) supercapacitor it would only power your servos for at most a second or two. Capacitors are good for giving a short boost in current but they don't have nearly the long term capacity of batteries and they don't maintain a steady voltage.

And don't connect servos via a breadboard anyway. Breadboards can't take the currents servos need.

Steve

Do you mean to use a capacitor as a power source?

No, I was planning to put a capacitor on the breadboard as shown on this site: Adafruit: If the Servo Misbehaves

Breadboards can't take the currents servos need.

Does that mean that my only options is using soldering or the PCA9685? Thanks for replying! Matt

You started off asking about external power sources, which should be used with all servos.

But now you're talking about capacitors to beef up the puny power from the 5V pin which shouldn't really be used to power even one small servo and certainly not 4 relatively power hungry metal gear servos.

What exactly is it that you are really wanting to know or perhaps trying to do or maybe having problems with?

Steve

Sorry for being vague on the question. My servo had the problem of moving uncontrollably and jittering. After doing some searching I found a few solutions, the ones I favored the most was, using a external power source or a capacitor. My question was if I could use a capacitor what rating should it have, and if I were to just use a external power source, what output should it give?.

And the answer is you should use an external power source as described in post #1. Try it.

Steve