micro error

hi !

for some reason my project wont upload to my micro

i get the promt: Error compiling for board Arduino Micro.

Apparently the computer is talking to the board, since it get's the board information

Mac with OSX Catalina . and IDE 1.8.11

any ideas where to look for the problem ?

Thanx in advance

// Magnus

Start by scrolling the black console window at the bottom of the Arduino IDE window and reading the full error output. There are a near infinite number of possible causes of the generic “Error compiling for board Arduino Micro” error message you posted. You need to look at the specific error message in the output to see what’s wrong.

Please do this:

• When you encounter an error, you’ll see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error messages” in the Arduino IDE (or the icon that looks like two pieces of paper at the top right corner of the black console window in the Arduino Web Editor). Click that button…
  • In a forum reply here, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum’s code tags markup to your reply.
  • Press “Ctrl + V”. This will paste the error between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.

If the text exceeds the forum’s 9000 character limit, save it to a .txt file and post it as an attachment. If you click the “Reply” button here, you will see an “Attachments and other settings” link.

thanks, this is the error message i get from the IDE

Arduino:1.8.11 Hourly Build 2019/12/30 10:12 (Mac OS X), Kort:"Arduino Micro"

/private/var/folders/k8/st0c10wj2jlfyz_c3grx9x580000gn/T/AppTranslocation/23BB47DF-6E64-4F8C-AE9A-1C50DCE82174/d/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /private/var/folders/k8/st0c10wj2jlfyz_c3grx9x580000gn/T/AppTranslocation/23BB47DF-6E64-4F8C-AE9A-1C50DCE82174/d/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware -hardware /Users/magnussoderman/Library/Arduino15/packages -tools /private/var/folders/k8/st0c10wj2jlfyz_c3grx9x580000gn/T/AppTranslocation/23BB47DF-6E64-4F8C-AE9A-1C50DCE82174/d/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder -tools /private/var/folders/k8/st0c10wj2jlfyz_c3grx9x580000gn/T/AppTranslocation/23BB47DF-6E64-4F8C-AE9A-1C50DCE82174/d/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -tools /Users/magnussoderman/Library/Arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /private/var/folders/k8/st0c10wj2jlfyz_c3grx9x580000gn/T/AppTranslocation/23BB47DF-6E64-4F8C-AE9A-1C50DCE82174/d/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries -libraries /Users/magnussoderman/Documents/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:micro -vid-pid=0X2341_0X8037 -ide-version=10811 -build-path /var/folders/k8/st0c10wj2jlfyz_c3grx9x580000gn/T/arduino_build_395073 -warnings=none -build-cache /var/folders/k8/st0c10wj2jlfyz_c3grx9x580000gn/T/arduino_cache_216550 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=/Users/magnussoderman/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino5 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc-7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino5.path=/Users/magnussoderman/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino5 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=/Users/magnussoderman/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino17 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude-6.3.0-arduino17.path=/Users/magnussoderman/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino17 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=/Users/magnussoderman/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arduinoOTA/1.3.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA-1.3.0.path=/Users/magnussoderman/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arduinoOTA/1.3.0 -verbose /Users/magnussoderman/Documents/Arduino/8_btn_footswitch/8_btn_footswitch.ino
loading libs from /Users/magnussoderman/Documents/Arduino/libraries: reading dir /Users/magnussoderman/Documents/Arduino/libraries: open /Users/magnussoderman/Documents/Arduino/libraries: operation not permitted

Error compiling for board Arduino Micro.

i get the same message if use a program file from the libraries

// Magnus

Is there a particular reason you're using the hourly build of the Arduino IDE? Generally, the hourly build is only intended to be used for beta testing. It's not recommended for normal use because it is more likely to have bugs than the production releases. I know there have been some compatibility issues lately with the Arduino IDE and macOS Catalina, so perhaps you have a good reason to use the hourly build.

i updated it, since i had the same problem with previous version of the IDE.

By "previous version", do you mean Arduino IDE 1.8.10?

And by "same problem", do you mean the exact specific error message:

loading libs from /Users/magnussoderman/Documents/Arduino/libraries: reading dir /Users/magnussoderman/Documents/Arduino/libraries: open /Users/magnussoderman/Documents/Arduino/libraries: operation not permitted

or just the generic error message:

Error compiling for board Arduino Micro

The generic message

i had IDE 10.8.9 . That's why i'm a bit confused.

Maybe it's catalina that is causing the problem.

I haven't done any compilations after upgrading the OS to Catalina

I'll throw the file in a windows 10 machine and try :slight_smile:

UPDATE !

tested on a non-updated Mac with Mojave (10.14.6) and everything
work as it did before updating to Catalina

back to the soldering iron . . ..

Thanks for taking the time to post an update ljudmasen! I'm glad you found a workaround, even though it's a bit unfortunate you can't use Catalina.

Same problem for me but with ESP32,
Working on macOS Catalina (10.15.3), Arduino IDE 1.8.12, Latest ESP boards def. (1.0.4).

My workaround is to run Arduino IDE from terminal:
On terminal:

cd /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/MacOS
./Arduino

or all at once (sometimes wont work), just type:

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/MacOS/Arduino

Now it should run Arduino IDE from terminal and no error msg. compiling and uploading.

I'm not a pro but think that way it kind of runs inside environment with sufficient permissions.

If still not working for you I suggest you check Terminal app 'Full Disk Access' permissions.
(System Preferences->Security & Privacy->“Privacy” tab->Full Disk Access->+ plus button to add Terminal)
As shown here - full disk access

Hope it helps!